    run slower on my new system because (1) games ignore the 2nd core and (2)
    thus game will be powered by a 2.13GHz processor instead of a 2.8GHz
    processor. Is that true???

    Fidelis K, Oct 19, 2006

  2. Fidelis K

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    I don't know that I can give you a technical answer - but some impressions
    anyway.

    I have just put together a system with the BadAxe, an E6600, 2GB 677 DDR2
    memory and an XFX 6600GT graphics card.
    My old system had a DFI LanParty mobo with an AMD 3200+, 2GB memory and
    same gfx card.

    Benchmarks are:

    3D Mark 2003 at 1024x768
    DFI 8035
    BADAXE 9152

    Quake Timedemo
    DFI 273FPS
    BADAXE 294FPS

    Unreal Tournament
    DFI 1024x768 Flyby 234.66 Botmach 88.08
    DFI 1280x960 Flyby 222.56 Botmach 87.73

    Guess who forgot to put the UT result in!!! From memory it was around 50%
    faster - the only BM to show a substantial increase.

    'm a bit disappointed so far, I was expecting better results. I also found
    I had to set the memory timing manually, on auto it set it at 533.

    I don't think you should rely on pure processor speed - the Core 2 Duo is
    different technology and if the logic applied to the Pentium M still
    applies a 2.13GHz CPU is equivalent to a 3 GHz Pentium 4. You will be able
    to play games and write a letter at the same time :)

    Jeff Gaines, Oct 19, 2006

  3. Fidelis K

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    On 19/10/2006 in message <> Jeff
    Gaines wrote:

    Just a follow up with the UT benchmarks:

    Unreal Tournament
    DFI 1024x768 Flyby 234.66 Botmach 88.08
    BADAXE 1024x768 Flyby 370.22 Botmach 149.3

    DFI 1280x960 Flyby 222.56 Botmach 87.73
    BADAXE 1280x960 Flyby 272.84 Botmach 143.58

    That is quite a big difference considering it's the same graphics card.

    Jeff Gaines, Oct 19, 2006
  4. Fidelis K

    Fidelis K Guest

    OK. Thanks. We shouldn't be caught up with the GHz number:)

    Fidelis K, Oct 19, 2006
  5. Fidelis K

    Mike Smith Guest

    Not when comparing different types of CPU, no. Within a given type, the
    higher the better still applies.

    Mike Smith, Oct 19, 2006
  6. Fidelis K

    DaveW Guest

    Yes it's true. Current games on the market have NOT been coded to be
    multi-threading.

    DaveW, Oct 19, 2006
  7. * DaveW:
    No, it isn't.
    Besides that there are already lots of games that are multithreaded
    (i.e. Oblivion, Quake4 etc) just because a game isn't multithreaded
    doesn't mean it runs faster on the P4 than on the Core 2 Duo.

    Benjamin

    Benjamin Gawert, Oct 20, 2006