Is GIGABYTE GA-M55plus-S3G motherboard a good choice?

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by ANTant, Dec 14, 2006.

  1. ANTant

    ANTant Guest

    Hello,

    I am planning to upgrade my old motherboard, CPU, Quantum 15 GB IDE HDD,
    and video card in a few weeks because newer and upcoming games are slow
    and choppy. http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.txt
    shows what my current primary/gaming computer is using. I am of thinking
    of getting an AMD Athlon 64 X2 CPU (939) and GIGABYTE GA-M55plus-S3G,
    and reusing old parts (case, 2 GB of RAM, sound card, two TV tuner
    cards, two old IDE HDDs (one is replaced with a new and fast SATA 320 GB
    HDD), DVD-ROM drive, CD burner, etc.). I also will not be overclocking.
    Notice I am not the type of guy who gets the latest stuff.

    I was going to go Intel, but it costs a lot more and I didn't not want
    to spend a lot of money on this upgrade. I am going to keep using
    Windows XP Pro. SP2 (32-bit). Who knows when I will get Vista. Maybe not
    for a long time. Linux/Debian will be later on though (a few years)
    when I put in my other mid-tower ATX case.

    Plan to get:
    1. A GIGABYTE GA-M55plus-S3G motherboard.
    2. An AMD Athlon 64 X2 (939) CPU -- probably 4600+ speed.
    3. A NVIDIA GeForce 79xx PCIe card (no SLI).
    4. A Seagate 320 GB SATA HDD (3 Gb/sec).
    5. A PCI IDE Controller for two more IDE ports for two old IDE HDDs, CD,
    and DVD drives.

    What do you think? Any problems with this setup? Thank you in advance.
    :)
    --
    "Thanks for giving me the courage to eat all those ants." --unknown
    /\___/\
    ( )

    ANTant, Dec 14, 2006

  2. ANTant

    JK Guest

    Review at:
    http://www.sysopt.com/features/mboard/article.php/3644226

    It seams to be a steal.

    But this MB is for AM2 ! (also obvious since it has sata2)

    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products....aspx?ProductID=2283&ModelName=GA-M55plus-S3G

    If you absolutely want a 939 system for reuse of DDR ram K8NF-9 could
    be a choice:
    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products...herboard&ProductID=1860&ProductName=GA-K8NF-9

    best regards

    John

    JK, Dec 14, 2006

  3. ANTant

    ANTant Guest

    Hello,
    What? Am I not reading this correctly? "AMD Athlon?64 X2/ Athlon?64
    socket AM2 platform" seems to suggest 939 as well? "/" means OR.

    I will look into it.

    ANTant, Dec 14, 2006
  4. ANTant

    OSbandito Guest

    Here are a few which have been tested/approved by AMD:
    Gigabyte GA-K8N (Ultra 9) ----------->check for PCIe compat.
    Gigabyte K8N51 PVM9-RH-NV

    remember that the pwr.supply socket is different (# pins) for PCIe

    OSbandito, Dec 16, 2006