    stuff onto DVD, but I usually leave the rendering for an overnight
    task, so encoding speed isn't all that much of an issue for me.

    Any thoughts?

    Chandler Bing, Feb 8, 2005

  2. Chandler Bing

    S.Lewis Guest

    My guess is that hyperthreading alone won't be of much benefit. However, by
    adding an 8300 system board you will gain SATA support, and dual-channel RAM
    capes. (along with the 800mhz FSB)

    Seeing as how the 3.06GHz/533mhz CPU wasn't an inexpensive upgrade (judging
    from retail costs on that CPU at the moment), I don't know that I'd go for
    the 875 chipset board unless it was priced very very reasonably....

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Feb 8, 2005

  3. Chandler Bing

    Guest Guest

    Chandler
    I be interested in where you picked up the 3.06MHz CPU,, also how much??

    I have a 8250 and would love to find a 3.06 CPU at a good price..

    Thanks
    Jim
    An Old Parrot Head
    In The Conch Republic
    Just South of Reality

    Guest, Feb 8, 2005
  4. Just bought it last week from Powerleap.com for $199. I don't know if
    they have any others in stock though because when I originally
    contacted Powerleap, I was interested in the 2.8 Ghz 400Mhz because
    their site said that they were out of stock in the 3.06 chips. It was
    only when I asked the salesman if/when they expected to get more 3.06
    processors in stock that I was informed that they still had at least
    one in stock, so I grabbed it instead. Ironically, the 2.8Ghz I was
    ready to settle for was priced at $219! I didn't understand why I was
    getting a better processor at $20 less than I was willing to pay for
    the 2.8 but I sure didn't argue with the salesman.

    BTW, if you do get a 3.06, don't order the fan.heatsink Powerleap
    sells for it. If your Dell heat sink arrangement is like the one on my
    4500, the aftermarket heat sink will not fit. Just make sure the heat
    sink pad on your stock Dell heat sink isn't damaged (gouged or melted)
    and if it looks intact and smooth, just put a generous dollop of
    Arctic Silver (Powerleap sells that also) on the processor and
    reposition the original Dell heat sink atop it. I've read a few
    threads in the Dell forums about people claiming that the processor
    runs hot in their machines but I deliberately ran Sisandra's burn in
    set to 100% cpu usage for four hours straight and my little ole stock
    Dell heatsink was barely warm to the touch. That makes perfect sense,
    by the way, because, according to what I've read about the Northwood
    3.06, its design makes it inherently run cooler than Prescott P4s.

    Chandler Bing, Feb 9, 2005
  5. Chandler Bing

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    The following is an *OPINION* based upon personal experience and a lot of
    research;

    Hyperthreading has never been "worth it" unless the majority of your time on
    the computer is spent using one of the relatively few Hyperthreading aware
    applications, such as Photoshop or AutoCAD.

    Hyperthreading in real world usage results in a 7%-10% performance loss due
    to memory contention errors and a breakdown in the long branch prediction
    algorithms.

    Hyperthreading doubles the pipelines to physical RAM, but in simplest terms
    there is no "traffic cop" to control all the extra bandwidth unless an
    application is written to do so (such as Photoshop).

    Many manufacturers ship their HT capable systems with HT disabled. The
    performance issue has been known all along, but the Intel market gurus try
    to make HT sound like a cure all for everything.

    If you want real world performance gains that you can see, and can use with
    all software, look into AMD and the Hypertransport bus. It is a 1600MHz
    hardware based packet interconnect that works with the on-chip memory
    controller of the AMD64 chips. It communicates natively with the RAM and
    AGP slot.

    A note to all who read this...

    I will not get into a flame war over how HT is better or whatever. The
    facts are clear, and even a cursory search on Google will demonstrate the
    superiority of Hypertransport in *REAL WORLD* and *every day* usage. BTW,
    Apple and IBM use Hypertransport technology in their machines; Apple in the
    G5 series and IBM in their server lineup. It is a superior technology.

    Those who wish to flame me, please read the first sentence, and then flame
    away, resting comfortably in the knowledge that you will be ignored.

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Feb 9, 2005
  6. The 3.06 cost me $199. I honestly don't know it that's considered a
    good deal or not, because I wasn't comparison shopping when I bought
    it. I was just wanting to give my machine a performance boost and to
    that end, I was looking to put the fastest processor and the maximum
    memory into the machine that it would take.

    I can pick up an 8300 mobo for $80, and that seems pretty reasonable
    to me. I might even go with a non-Dell mobo if I can find a high
    quality board with 533/800 FSB and an AGP slot (just bought a new ATI
    9600 AIW) because I have a brand new killer case that I picked up at a
    recent computer show and I'm just itching to put it to use.

    Chandler Bing, Feb 9, 2005