Is it my GeForce FX5700LE playing up or my monitor?

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Kate, Jul 8, 2005.

  1. Kate

    Kate Guest

    Now and again, for no apparent reason, my CRT monitor screen shrinks
    sideways. There will be a "tick" sound (rather like static
    electricity being discharged, but louder), there will be a very brief
    flash across the screen, and then it collapses. It seems to be bowed,
    as well : things are more squashed towards the middle than at the
    outside edges, where they look almost normal. After a while, it will
    suddenly open out again. I have been told that it could be either the
    card or the monitor which is causing it, but no one has been able to
    tell me how to find out which one is the culprit. The only suggestion
    has been to replace one or the other and see if the problem persists.
    This seems a bit drastic, especially as both are expensive items, and
    it stands to reason that I shall replace the wrong one!

    Can anyone suggest some tests I could carry out to see which one is
    faulty, please, or point me in the direction of another newsgroup
    which may be able to help?

    Many thanks
    Kate

    Kate, Jul 8, 2005

  2. Kate

    RaceFace Guest

    It's the monitor. It's dying. Time to get a new one, since repairing it
    will probably cost more than a new one would, but you can look into that.

    If you can borrow one from a friend, you might try that, just to confirm it.
    But I have zero reason to believe it's not the monitor.

    RF.

    RaceFace, Jul 8, 2005

  3. Kate

    Bill Guest

    You could try a lower refresh rate and see what happens. How old is
    your monitor and what make and model. Ditto video card. My money is on
    the monitor going bad.

    Bill

    Bill, Jul 8, 2005
  4. Kate

    Kate Guest

    The monitor refresh rate is set at 85 Hz. I did try 75 Hz but it made
    no difference, although when I reset it to 85 Hz the problem went away
    for a few days. It is quite old, I suppose - bought in 1995 - and is
    an LG Flatron 795FT Plus. The video card is an nVidia GeForce
    FX5700LE and is only just a week or two over 1 year old.

    I had a new computer in June 2004 (the video card was new then), but I
    kept the old monitor. Before that, I was having similar problems with
    it, but it is only recently that they have recurred, so it does make
    me wonder if it is the card after all.

    The idea of borrowing another monitor is a good one, so I shall ask
    around. I really would hate to buy a new monitor and then find that I
    should have replaced the card. Would "card creep" cause this sort of
    thing, do you know?

    Thanks for the replies
    Kate

    Kate, Jul 8, 2005
  5. Kate

    RaceFace Guest

    This problem points to circuitry within the monitor that's designed to
    control the size of the screen failing. Problems like these can be exactly
    like you describe, in terms of working fine for a bit, then going wonky
    again, until the parts finally fail completely. The 'clicking' you heard
    also points to it being a monitor problem. No videocard would produce a
    clicking sound, unless it actually explodes. :D

    RF.

    RaceFace, Jul 8, 2005
  6. Kate

    Kate Guest

    I thought that if the card was playing up, it might be sending the
    wrong signals to the monitor. Still, I will try and borrow a monitor
    for a week or so to see what happens. If everything works OK, then I
    will have to decide what monitor to buy. There are so many to choose
    from!

    Thank you for your help.
    Kate

    Kate, Jul 8, 2005
  7. Kate

    DaveW Guest

    Yes, you HAVE to try replacing one or the other to tell which is bad.
    Assuming you don't have a spare monitor laying around, I would recommend
    finding a computer store with a generous return policy and buy an
    appropriate video card to replace your current one. It's an easy
    installation. If the new video card does not fix the problem, then return
    the video card for a refund and buy a monitor from the store.

    DaveW, Jul 8, 2005
  8. Kate

    Bill Guest

    Ten year old monitor? Be grateful it's lasted this long.

    Doubt it. Check around for a monitor to borrow or buy cheap. Maybe
    even rent one.
    Bill

    Bill, Jul 9, 2005
  9. It's highly unlikely that the video card could cause a display
    distortion like that - almost certainly the monitor.

    Robert Hancock, Jul 9, 2005
  10. Kate

    McGrandpa Guest

    Kate, in all my years of putering around, what you describe going on
    (clicks and screen scaling wrong) have only been the monitor going out.
    That same thing has happened with a few of them. You can try that
    monitor on another computer and a different monitor on your computer. I
    think you'll find the monitor still has the problem. As an OP says in
    this thread, the video card isn't going to make those noises. Nor, in
    my experience, will it "miss-sync" the signal to make the monitor do
    that. It's a chip that controls either the height or the width. You
    can have it repaired, but with the cost of decent CRT and even LCD
    monitors being so low these days, it's cheaper to replace it.
    McG.

    McGrandpa, Jul 9, 2005
  11. Kate

    Kate Guest

    I managed to find the invoice for my monitor and it isn`t as old as I
    thought - bought in 1999. Since I my first post it hasn`t played up
    at all, so maybe I will keep it for a bit longer, but remain aware
    that it could expire at any time. In a way it is a pity it isn`t the
    video card that is faulty, as that is still under guarantee!

    Thanks for all the advice.
    Kate

    Kate, Jul 9, 2005
  12. Kate

    Bill Guest

    Well, now would be a good time to figure out what you want for a
    replacement display. It'll save you some time when it does die
    permanently. I'm using a Viewsonic PF-790 thats about 5 years old and
    it doesn't always turn on in the morning. The green light comes on but
    no picture. Turn it off then on again and it works. When it finally
    craps out I'll pick up a Viewsonic VX924 LCD.

    Bill

    Bill, Jul 10, 2005
  13. Kate

    Kate Guest

    Yes, indeed! I think I shall be looking for another CRT monitor, as I
    work mostly with photos and graphics. I would like a Sony Trinitron,
    but a Google search did not find any UK stockists. Even Sony`s own
    website didn`t seem to feature one - unless I was looking in the wrong
    place. A flat screen is a `must have`, together with the ability to
    alter the RGB, brightness and contrast, as I calibrate my monitor with
    a Colorvision Spyder every month. Any recommendations would be very
    welcome.

    Kate

    Kate, Jul 10, 2005
  14. Kate

    Kate Guest

    Since posting the above I have noticed something interesting. The
    screen had collapsed, so I tried restarting the computer. The display
    was full-size until my desktop came up, when it collapsed again. A
    few seconds later, it opened back out. Now, if it was _definitely_
    the monitor at fault, surely the display would have been reduced in
    size right from re-start, rather than when the video card driver was
    loaded? Maybe it was a coincidence. I shall try re-starting again
    next time the display goes wrong and take particular note of what
    happens when the nVidia Settings icon appears on the Taskbar.

    Kate

    Kate, Jul 11, 2005
  15. Kate

    Bill Guest

    Took a quick look at what's being offered in U.K and it appears your
    s.o.l. for a crt of profesional graphics quality crt's. It appears
    Sony <and there by others that used their crts > has gone out of the
    CRT business. You'll need to scour Ebay or chose an LCD.

    Bill

    Bill, Jul 11, 2005
  16. Kate

    Pat Guest

    Don't know what OS you have but try turning down the video acceleration. In
    W98 it's in "performance > graphics" tab of system properties. While booting
    and in DOS mode only the frame buffer is in use. When windows starts the
    accelerated portion of the board is called. This also changes the monitor
    mode. So, while it is most likely the problem is the monitor, the
    accelerator circuits on the card could be fubar. Also, check the refresh
    rate, it is likely at 85hz or more. Try bring it down. Try 60hz and see what
    happens. It will flicker but this is only a test.

    Pat, Jul 11, 2005
  17. Kate

    Phil Weldon Guest

    'Kate' wrote, in part:
    | Since posting the above I have noticed something interesting. The
    | screen had collapsed, so I tried restarting the computer. The display
    | was full-size until my desktop came up, when it collapsed again. A
    | few seconds later, it opened back out. Now, if it was _definitely_
    | the monitor at fault, surely the display would have been reduced in
    | size right from re-start, rather than when the video card driver was
    | loaded?

    _____

    The problem, without a doubt, is in your monitor. For a CRT monitor, the
    horizontal sweep circuit provides the power to drive the electron beam from
    side to side. The same circuit also develops the high voltage
    (~15,000 -20,000 VDC) that accelerates the electron beam toward the screen.
    This is a high power circuit, and the most likely circuit to fail in a CRT
    monitor. Even dust collecting around the high voltage circuitry can cause
    arcing and intermittent failure (say, a click or pop and then the picture
    collapses. A thorough internal cleaning might fix the problem, but don't
    try it yourself.

    A Trinitron CRT is still the best choice for your stated uses. The monitor
    does not need to be a Sony; many manufacturers use Trintron CRTs in
    monitors. Viewsonic is a respected brand, and something like a Viewsonic
    PerfectFlat A95f ( 19" ( 1600 X1200 @ 75 FPS, 1280 X 1024 @ 85 FPS, 1024 X
    768 @ 100 FPS) with a Trinitron CRT costs about $200 in the USA. That line
    of Viewsonic monitors have a lot of settings to perfect the geometry.

    An LCD monitor will have perfect geometry, but the color rendition will not
    be as good as a CRT monitor and the color and contrast will change according
    to the viewing angle, even from one point to another on the screen from the
    same viewing position. The new monitor you choose should also come with
    color rendition files that aid in matching printer, scanner, and printer
    matching.

    Phil Weldon

    Phil Weldon, Jul 11, 2005
  18. Kate

    Kate Guest

    Pat : My OS is Windows XP Home. I tried reducing the video
    acceleration and then I reduced the refresh rate to 60Hz. The display
    opened up, but, of course, it does flicker rather disturbingly. I
    then experimented with different refresh rates; sometimes the
    distortion was worse, sometimes the same. I returned it to 60Hz and
    then pushed video acceleration back to `Full`. The display remained
    full-screen.

    I left it at 60Hz while typing the above and then re-set it to 85Hz.
    The display is still full-screen. Does that give any more clues as to
    what is going on? Sorry to keep hammering on about this, but I am
    finding the replies most interesting and informative.

    BTW, what is "fubar"?

    Phil : Cleaning the inside of the monitor might be worth trying.
    Thanks for the suggestion. In 6 years, I guess a fair amount of
    grunge could have been attracted to it. There might even be a spider
    or two in there!

    I had not realised that other monitor manufacturers used Trinitron
    CRTs, so shall do a Google using that alone. I would like a 19"
    screen (the one I have now is 17"), but CRTs are so bulky and my desk
    space is limited, so I shall probably have to stick with a 17".

    Bill : thanks for checking out the UK market for me. I shall
    definitely go with a CRT for my main display, but could I use a small
    TFT as my second monitor? The GeForce FX5700LE is a dual-head,
    although I only have the one monitor at the moment. Two CRTs would
    take up too much room (see above).

    Thanks again, everyone, for all your help and advice.
    Best wishes
    Kate

    Kate, Jul 11, 2005
  19. Kate

    stevem Guest

    Kate,
    DON'T TRY TO CLEAN the inside of your monitor! Phil already warned you not
    to, but didn't elaborate on the reason. There are some EXTREMELY high
    voltages in there, EVEN WHEN DISCONNECTED FROM THE POWER! Unless you know
    exactly what you are doing, opening up a monitor can have quite literally
    lethal consequences! That's why Phil warned you not to do it.

    Steve.

    stevem, Jul 11, 2005
  20. Kate

    Kate Guest

    Thank you for the warning, Steve, but I wouldn`t have attempted to do
    it myself. I have had two powerful electric shocks in the past and
    would not want to repeat them. Then, I was young and fit; today, the
    opposite... There is usually a warning label on the back of monitors
    (and TVs) not to investigate inside, but why do they retain power
    after they are disconnected? Is there a magneto in there, or
    something?

    Kate

    Kate, Jul 11, 2005