Is it my hard drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Glen Verran, Nov 18, 2003.

  1. Glen Verran

    Glen Verran Guest

    Hi there

    I hope somebody can answer this one for me? I have the following
    situation:

    One day while working on my machine (I've just upgraded to a Celeron
    2.6G, Intel motherboard, 256 ddr ram) and brought over my 20gig
    Fujitso HD from my previous system. My previous system died - not
    sure why.

    I left my machine on for the day and when I got back, I was faced with
    a "blue screen of death". Rebooted and my motherboard would not
    detect my HD. It spun up, but didn't detect. So I left it for a day
    and tried again, still no luck.

    Then I took the HD to work and tried it in another machine. It
    detected it, but didn't boot up, nothing was shown on-screen at all.
    So I took the HD home and tried again, my machine detected it and it
    could not boot up. So i kept the HD connected and tried to boot off
    floppy and the floppy would not boot up, not even a bootable CD in the
    CD ROM drive. I unplugged the HD and the floppy booted up fine as
    well as the CD ROM drive (I tested this by inserting a Windows XP
    bootable CD), but once I connected the HD, no booting from anything!
    I even changed the jumper settings on the HD to cable select! Still
    no luck. I would go into the BIOS and sometimes it would detect it,
    sometimes not.

    I don't know if my HD was the cause, but I found my Celeron 2.6G very
    slow.i.e. while I was accessing the HD and playing an mp3, the mp3
    playback would lag so much that I had to stop the mp3 and continue the
    copying process. I somewhow think my HD had something to do with
    this.

    Now my obvious conclusion is that my HD is dead. The question is, how
    did it become like this? Do you think that heat in the casing could
    of had something to do with this? I am just afraid that my prevous
    system died because of heat.

    I have been monitoring my processor and it was average about 37'C
    (98'F). Sometimes it would go up to 40'C (104'F) to 45'C (113'F)
    which hasn't been very often. But I cannot see how heat of what I've
    just described could contribute at all. Currently, i have my casing
    open and an extra fan blowing air into the system because my casing
    doesn't support inward / outward airflow fans.

    I really hope somebody out there can help me on this one?

    Thank you very much in advance

    ~Glen

    Glen Verran, Nov 18, 2003

  2. Glen Verran

    DaveW Guest

    Sounds like your harddrive died of "natural causes;" Old age and useage.
    Doesn't sound heat related based on your CPU temperatures.

    DaveW, Nov 19, 2003

  3. Glen Verran

    Glen Verran Guest

    Hi there

    I just want to add that I plugged the HD in as a slave on a machine
    here at work and I could get to my data, so dying of natural causes I
    am still sort of ruling out - I plugged it into the master again and
    managed to get the screen before Windows XP boots up asking weather I
    should boot in safe mode. I am going to take the HD home tonight and
    test it AGAIN!

    If you have any comments, please do post them? Every little bit
    helps.

    Thanks
    ~Glen

    Glen Verran, Nov 19, 2003
  4. Glen Verran

    Glen Verran Guest

    Hi there

    I'd like to add another note about my hard drive problem. I don't
    know how, but it started working again, but my excitement did not last
    long when it died again. It actually booted up and i used it for
    about 2 hours after which it died.

    I also heard from a friend that Fujitso hard drives game a lot of
    problems and he had many returns of these HD. Well, it looks like a
    new 40gig Maxdor is going to do the trick.

    Let me know if you have any comments.

    Thanks
    ~Glen

    Glen Verran, Nov 20, 2003
  5. Hello,
    Have you run the following diagnostic tool on this hard drive?
    http://www.fcpa.fujitsu.com/download/hard-drives/

    This tool will tell you how reliable your hard drive is.
    It sounds as if your hard drive is failing. Excessive heat is a good guess.

    CPU temperature is different from the temperature the hard drive
    experiences. Lack of airflow around the hard drive is a significant
    factor with an overheated hard drive.

    Have you heard any obvious sounds of power cycling or winding noises?
    I had a hard drive within a plastic removable drive bay that overheated
    on me. It made loud winding sounds 4-5 times and then would freeze.
    This removable drive bay had a fan on it but there was no space within
    the drive bay for air to circulate through. If I removed the drive from
    the removable bay and installed it normally, it would operate normally
    after it had cooled off. But after being damaged like that, it
    eventually failed completely. Maybe you are adding hard
    drives/cdroms/dvdroms into the case and the fan is having a hard time
    cooling them all off?

    Just thoughts from my own experiences.
    Scott

    Scott Nightlinger, Nov 21, 2003
  6. Glen Verran

    Glen Verran Guest

    Hi there

    Thanks for the info. I'll try it out tonight - well, that is if I can
    get my floppy drive to boot up. LOL

    I don't know why, but I cannot understand why I didn't go to Fujitsu's
    website in the first place. Oh well.

    I'll post my findings.

    Cheers
    ~Glen