Is it normal to have blinking light on AC only of a TP600X with battery reomoved?

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by Don, Apr 26, 2005.

  1. Don

    Don Guest

    Hi,

    It looks like the battery is completely dead as it can not hold ANY
    charges ( I will not even the IBM startup screen if I unplugged the AC
    adapter ). So for the mean time I removed the battery and put it on
    AC. But the battery light is still blinking amber constantly. This is
    also happened when I try to charge the battery ( turn off and charge
    for whole night and it is still blinking ). That is a change from my
    experience with the older TP. Can anyone help me to confirm that it
    will still blink when only on AC without battery please? The last
    thing I want is to buy a battery and find out that I have some
    motherboard problem.

    Btw, any suggestions on where to buy the 600X battery at reasonable
    price?

    Thanks.

    Don, Apr 26, 2005

  2. Don

    Don Guest

    Do you know if this means it need a motherboard swap, or I can replace
    some parts to get it working again?
    Have you use them before??

    Don, Apr 27, 2005

  3. Don

    Don Guest

    OK.. upon further search over the net, I taped the middle 2 connectors
    of the battery and turn on the laptop for a while. Then turn it off,
    remove the (presumed dead ) battery, and turn on the laptop on AC
    only. This time, the battery light is not blinking. It is not on at
    all. I guess this means I only need a new battery then? Anyone to
    confirm this?? Thanks..

    Don, Apr 27, 2005
  4. Don

    juliuslr Guest

    My 2 cents: I've bought so called new batteries on eBay made by non-IBM
    vendor for around $50 each (bought 2). They worked for a couple of
    months, and now both batteries shows less than 50% capacity (charging
    icon says on, but will not charge the batt to 100%. If I used it
    without CA adaptor, it will last maybe 0.5 hours and then the power
    management logic would shutdown/hibernate the system. (set at 10%). If
    I taped the two center posts so it does not report batt status to the
    CPU, the system will last about 1 hour and then poof, it just go to
    total shutdown (as expected). Moral of the story: these vendors
    probably just slap the Li_ion battery cells together without matching
    cell characteristics, so after some use, the smart logic in the battery
    says, oops i can no longer go 100% and stops allowing charging to
    continue, although the laptop APM says, huh, 50%, lets give it more
    charging time... I think that cells made for IBM have stricter quality
    control during its manufacturing so that thye do last longer... they
    probably match cell characteristics. Therefore, cell pack rebuilders
    would probably not this type of matching either, PLUS, the smart logic
    has a non-volatile memory that may prevent you from getting a working
    pack (I try to rebuilt packs myself with mixed results).

    juliuslr, Apr 27, 2005