    Thanks in advance!
    as

    ps: (It has a 5 gig hard drive and 48 Megs of ram.)

    ~A_Sammy, Nov 28, 2003

  2. ~A_Sammy

    Anthony Guest

    Yes, you can upgrade to WIN98se....(stay away from ME, it is CRAP)

    I would suggest, to get a bit betre preforms to install 98 with a program
    called 98Lite (http://www.litepc.com/preview.html) There is a free demo
    version that you can download and use. Basically the program removes all
    the extra "bloat ware" from a full 98 installation, and you will notice a
    great improvrement in the speed of the computer.

    As far as drivers, make sure you have all the drivers you need before
    starting the 98 installation.
    Go into the device manager, and write down all the names of the devices you
    have installed (modems, video, ect...) The drivers should be on the 95
    disk, but if you cant find them, try http://driversearch.com/ and you can
    usually find them there.

    You may also want to read http://pbfaq.tripod.com/ which has a section on
    DRIVERS FOR PB DEVICES and how to find them.

    If you get stuck, and cant find a driver, post back here, and we (the group)
    will be more than gladd to give you a hand.

    Regards,
    Anthony

    Anthony, Nov 28, 2003

  3. ~A_Sammy

    Scarletdown Guest

    I second the recommendation for 98-Lite. I use it on every 98-System
    I build (except my roommate's as the RPG he plays requires Internet
    Excreter.) I even have it on my current workstation, which is an
    ASUS A7N8X Deluxe with an Athlon 2500 Barton and 512MB of RAM. Even
    on this system, i have noticed some performance increase as well as
    much more stability.

    I would buy 98-Lite Professional, but I am in the process of
    upgrading to Debian Linux, and when I do, I will have very little
    need to boot back into 98 anyway.
    Also, be sure to check driverguide.com. Very rarely have I ever
    failed to find a needed driver there.

    Additionally, I also recommend upping the RAM to at least 64MB for
    increased stability and slightly faster performance. If she takes
    SIMMs, then 16 Meggers are getting pretty cheap, and 32 meggers will
    be more resaonably priced soon as well (I think).

    Cheers! (OMG, Did I just say Cheers?)

    -- Scarletdown
    (Spamfoil in place. Lift MYTAILFEATHERS to reply via email.)

    Scarletdown, Nov 29, 2003
  4. ~A_Sammy

    First Last Guest

[...]

    Good idea about the RAM. Check with belarc.com, pcpitstop.com and/or some of
    the memory suppliers to see what will work. 64 would be nice, 128 better and
    256 would make you happier.

    First Last, Dec 4, 2003