Is it OK/safe to put a MacBook Pro to a long sleep/hibernation (closeits lid) and moving it for a lo

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Ant, Jan 5, 2014.

  1. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Hello.

    I noticed my client did not shut down his MacBook Pro today since
    opening its lid up resulted the login screen instead of the usual boot
    up from powering on. Its battery life was still high (91%) so that
    wasn't bad, but is it really a good idea to put it to sleep/hibernation
    for that long though especially when transporting it around like in
    luggages? I can understand if it is a few minutes and hours for short
    moves or idling, but days and moving around?

    Thank you in advance. :)
    --
    "The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the
    summer." --Proverbs 30:25 (Bible)

    Ant, Jan 5, 2014

  2. I've put Macbooks to sleep for weeks at a time with little problem.

    Barry Margolin, Jan 5, 2014

  3. Ant

    Alan Baker Guest

    Absolutely safe. I do it all the time.

    Alan Baker, Jan 5, 2014
  4. Ant

    Guest Guest

    it's designed to sleep rather than shut down.

    if you are going to have it off for a few weeks, then shut it down,
    since there is a very small amount of battery drain in sleep (a little
    more than the self-discharge rate) and it will eventually shut itself
    off anyway. if you shut it down first, then you control when it shuts
    down.

    Guest, Jan 5, 2014
  5. Ant

    Ant Guest

    So even when transporting like (commut/travell)ing, it will be OK and
    safe? Interesting.
    --
    "The great companies did not know that the line between hunger and anger
    is a thin line. And money that might have gone to wages went for gas,

    Ant, Jan 5, 2014
  6. Ant

    Guest Guest

    having to shut down all the time would be a pain in the ass.

    Guest, Jan 5, 2014
  7. Ant

    Alan Baker Guest

    What made you think it wouldn't be in the first place?

    Hard drives have "parked" their heads when the are powered down for a
    long time now and with the fans, those are the only moving parts in a
    laptop.

    Alan Baker, Jan 5, 2014
  8. Ant

    Don Bruder Guest

    Why wouldn't it be???? Except for the technicality that it's keeping the
    RAM refreshed and watching for a "time to wake up" signal, there's very
    nearly no difference between "asleep" and "powered off".

    Don Bruder, Jan 5, 2014
  9. Ant

    Larry Gusaas Guest

    Of course it is. Why would you think it wouldn't be?

    --
    _________________________________

    Larry I. Gusaas
    Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
    Website: http://larry-gusaas.com

    Larry Gusaas, Jan 5, 2014
  10. Ant

    Your Name Guest

    Then there's also no reason not to simply power it off instead. :)

    Realistically the only reason not to switch a computer off when it
    won't be used for a while is because impatient fools can't wait the
    extra few seconds for the computer to shutdown or reboot. :-\

    Your Name, Jan 5, 2014
  11. Ant

    Guest Guest

    yes there is. power off is only needed for storage or moving a computer
    that plugs into the wall.
    it's more than a few seconds to boot, but regardless, instant trumps a
    delay.

    Guest, Jan 5, 2014
  12. Well, for varying values of safe.

    Boreder patrol may confiscate your machine if they don't have the tools
    on-site to image the drives. Just to be sure, install TrueCrypt on your
    system and use a 4096bit key.

    And carry it on. Be sure to wear high-top boots that lace up to mid-calf.

    Being behind you in the security line will lots of fun.

    Michael Vilain, Jan 6, 2014
  13. Ant

    JF Mezei Guest

    When, during sleep, batteries go below a certain point, the laptop will
    spin up the disk, save memory to the disk and do a full shutdown to
    preserve batteries.

    When you then power up (with the power button), you get a special power
    up mode where it restores the RAM content from disk and continues where
    it left off. (not a real reboot).

    JF Mezei, Jan 6, 2014
  14. Why would you reply to my message, snip everything I wrote, but leave
    the attribution referring to me instead of the attribution of the OP?

    Barry Margolin, Jan 6, 2014
  15. Ant

    Your Name Guest

    A. It's easy to do by accident, especially if you're in a hurry.

    and

    B. Perhaps the original message didn't show up on his server (yet).

    Your Name, Jan 6, 2014
  16. Ant

    Your Name Guest

    That's what I said below ...

    Your Name, Jan 6, 2014
  17. Ant

    Lewis Guest

    Lewis, Jan 6, 2014
  18. Ant

    Lewis Guest

    Yes there is, it takes much less time to wake from sleep than to boot
    up.
    Yes, extra "few seconds". My MBP, with an SSD, takes more than 2 minutes
    to boot. It takes about 2 seconds to wake from sleep.

    Lewis, Jan 6, 2014
  19. Ant

    Lewis Guest

    Lewis, Jan 6, 2014
  20. Sleeping is fine for normal travel. If you think it's going to get hit
    hard during transport (bouncing around in a off-road vehicle) and you
    have a spinning hard drive, shutting down is better. If you check the
    systems logs, you'll find that the computer does momentarily wake from
    sleep sometimes.

    Shut it down before sending it through package X-ray machines because
    some of them are very powerful. A system panic while wrapped up in a
    suitcase or a box could cause overheating. That includes checked-in
    airline luggage, USPS, UPS, and FedEx shipping.

    Carry-on airline scanners are low power and I haven't seen them harm
    anything that was powered on. Even if it did crash it would be fine in
    a cary-on bag.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Jan 6, 2014