    | |o o| |
    A song is/was playing on this computer: Eighth Wonder - I'm Not Scared
    (Dance/Disco Mix)

    Ant, Jan 6, 2014

  2. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Major software and firmware upgrades?
    --
    "Trivial hurts, tiny human accidents," said Firenze, as his hooves
    thudded over the mossy floor. "These are of no more significance than
    the scurryings of ants to the wide universe, and are unaffected by
    planetary movements." --Harry Potter book

    Ant, Jan 6, 2014

  3. Ant

    Lewis Guest

    Just a restart in those cases.

    Lewis, Jan 6, 2014
  4. Ant

    billy Guest

    ....and post it to non-relevant groups?

    Particularly not if you're in the consulting business.
    And, by the way, it's polite to confine one's sigs to four lines, or less.

    Billy Y..

    billy, Jan 7, 2014
  5. Ant

    Alan Baker Guest

    Hard drives aren't spinning when the machine is sleeping.
    Can you produce a single verifiable case of that ever happening?

    Alan Baker, Jan 7, 2014
  6. Ant

    Guest Guest

    if you think it's going to get hit during travel, get a good carrying
    case to cushion it.

    how often does this actually happen anyway?
    very rarely does it do that and the timing would have to be *exactly*
    at the same time as it being hit (which is rare to start with) to even
    matter.
    that makes *no* difference whatsoever. the drive is completely off and
    parked when the laptop is sleeping.

    however, shipping a computer that's sleeping is not a good idea, but
    not for the reason you give. it could be in transit for a while, maybe
    a week if you choose ground, possibly even longer, and the battery is
    slowly draining during that time. there's no advantage to sleeping it
    for shipment or for extended periods of not being used.

    there *is* a huge advantage for sleeping it in normal everyday use.
    as it would anywhere.

    Guest, Jan 7, 2014
  7. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Why not?

    It's more of a volunteer work, not paid job related.
    --
    "Look at them, fighting like ants. The fate's waiting them." --Kane in
    Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars

    Ant, Jan 7, 2014
  8. Ant

    JF Mezei Guest

    I have seen my MacPro gain a significant static charge going through the
    scanner (you get big electric shock as you touch it afterwards). Whether
    it is from the X-ray or from the plastic tray rolling along on those
    plastic rollers, I don't know.

    Did not seem to hurt it, but static discharge is never good on a
    computer. Perhaps the aluminium shell is well insulated from the
    insides. However, never touch the keyboard first. The plastic does
    penetrate and can damage electronics below.

    JF Mezei, Jan 7, 2014
  9. Ant

    Guest Guest

    it's not the mac pro that's doing it.

    send through a bag of clothes and you can still get a shock from a
    metal part of your luggage or the rails of the scanner.

    always touch the rails before touching anything else.
    i've had that happen a number of times in the winter months, when the
    dryer air increases the chances of a spark. what generally happens is
    the trackpad will cease to function until the laptop is slept/woken.

    Guest, Jan 7, 2014
  10. Ant

    Guest Guest

    you would trust it in checked baggage?

    Guest, Jan 8, 2014
  11. Ant

    JF Mezei Guest

    Sorry, MacBookPro :)

    I don't think a MacPro (2009) would fit size and weight limits for hand
    luggage.

    JF Mezei, Jan 8, 2014
  12. Ant

    Your Name Guest

    Probably not "hand luggage", but there was at least one company which
    used to make carrybags for Mac Pros. They also made them for Apple
    Displays. :)

    Your Name, Jan 8, 2014
  13. Ant

    billy Guest

    It's sloppy, and not only that - it also generates
    yet more slop. Observe what happens on a properly
    written news reader (tin) -

    http://MIX.COM/Sloppy.jpg

    Billy Y..

    billy, Jan 9, 2014
  14. Ant

    Patty Winter Guest

    E.g., "MBP long hibernation" or "Wordwrap in TextEdit".

    Patty

    Patty Winter, Jan 9, 2014
  15. Ant

    Tim Streater Guest

    And, en plus, once a subject gets too long I say **** that and move on.
    Your post and its thread never get read.

    Tim Streater, Jan 9, 2014
  16. Ant

    Lewis Guest

    Not to mention that a lot of people simply do not see the subject lines
    at all. For example, the csm hierarchy gets little enough traffic and i
    have decent enough kill files that I simply start at the first message
    and read to the end, if something is in the subject *only* I will
    probably never see it, and if the intent of the message isn't clear from
    the body of the post, I skip to the next message.

    I will never scroll to read a subject line.

    Lewis, Jan 10, 2014
  17. That seems like a misfeature of your newsreader if it doesn't at least
    show a the truncated subject line along with the post.

    Barry Margolin, Jan 10, 2014
  18. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Tin rocks! Weird, I don't see that problem in my Tin through SSH2
    connections.
    --
    "It is certain that there may be extraordinary mental activity with an
    extremely small absolute mass of nervous matter: thus the wonderfully

    Ant, Jan 10, 2014
  19. Ant

    Bread Guest

    I've found my mid-07 MBP, having been put to sleep, wake up while
    packed in my backpack.

    It was a few times, and it seems very much like an anomaly. It hasn't
    happened in a couple of years. And I just retired that machine
    permanently the other day (it's failing much more seriously now).

    But it has certainly happened to me. And no, I really never figured
    out why it happened, nor why it hasn't since then.

    I never shut down my laptop in general every day usage, to and from the
    office, or traveling by plane (since it's certainly going to be in my
    carry-on, not in checked luggage).

    But if I were packing and shipping it out of my hands, I'd shut it down.

    Otherwise, no, I never shut it down (periodic reboots don't count)
    unless I'm doing some kind of surgery on my MBP.

    FWIW.

    Bread, Jan 10, 2014
  20. Ant

    Bread Guest

    Then, there was this:

    http://www.macmothership.com/gallery/Newsweek/p019.jpg

    I was working in a retail computer store at the time and we sent
    several folks home with Macs in those carry bags as part of the Test
    Drive A Mac campaign.

    I imagine that some folks used those same bags to carry some of those
    Macs on planes. (Never me, though.)

    (And the new Mac Pro would certainly be potential carry-on. It's a
    little heavy, but quite small enough!)

    Bread, Jan 10, 2014