    Alan Browne Guest

    bad habits of JF include the above and better yet: complete strip and
    answering with a change of context.

    Alan Browne, Jan 10, 2014

  2. Ant

    Alan Browne Guest

    The Mac Pro doesn't have a battery to hold up the memory, however, so
    you'd have to suffer through 30 - 60 seconds of boot time... (Would be
    nice if that could be hacked to add battery holdup for the RAM...)

    It with monitor(s), keyboard/mouse/trackpad/graphics-table would fit
    into a checkable Pelican case. It would be a challenge, but possible,
    to find a small monitor, storage and other kit that would fit well into
    a carry-on.

    OTOH, you could always find a monitor to use on site when you got there
    and possibly the memory in the MP would suffice for many jobs.

    Alan Browne, Jan 11, 2014

  3. Ant

    Lewis Guest

    Lewis, Jan 11, 2014
  4.
    Barry Margolin, Jan 11, 2014
  5. Ant

    billy Guest

    Those of us who don't want to sort threads by references do.

    And, assuming you are, if you "l"ist a thread, you will too.

    Billy Y..

    billy, Jan 11, 2014
  6. Ant

    Savageduck Guest

    Savageduck, Jan 11, 2014
  7. Ant

    Tim Streater Guest

    Tim Streater, Jan 11, 2014
  8. Ant

    Savageduck Guest

    Savageduck, Jan 11, 2014
  9. Ant

    Savageduck Guest

    Agreed.
    Sometimes it might just be a Usenet newcomer who needs help and you can
    give him the benefit of doubt and provide the information requested.
    However, this time it is "Ant" who has been posting to this NG since at
    least 2007 with the same long narative subject lines. It is time he
    learned that his actions are a PIA.

    Savageduck, Jan 12, 2014
  10. Ant

    Lewis Guest

    Lewis, Jan 12, 2014
  11. Ant

    Tim Streater Guest

    In that case his posts will get ignored. Simples.

    Tim Streater, Jan 12, 2014
  12. Ant

    Lewis Guest

    As I explained up thread I generally just start reading the first
    message and move on to the next until the end. I don't look at the
    subjects first.
    Again, as I said previously, the csm* hierarchy gets few enough posts and
    I have good enough filters that yes, I start at the first and read to
    the end. If a thread I am reading gets especially dull, then I may mark
    it read. But I'm still not paying the slightest attention to the
    subjects.

    Lewis, Jan 12, 2014
  13. I thought he was on your side, agreeing that the important information
    should be in the post, not the subject. He wasn't saying that the length
    of the subject is unimportant because he doesn't read them. He's saying
    that if you put the point of your thread in the subject rather than the
    message, it makes the post unintelligible.

    Barry Margolin, Jan 13, 2014
  14. Ant

    dorayme Guest

    Where do you get your patience from Barry? Is it genetic? Next time I
    return home, I'm going to to ask my makers to give me those mechanisms
    before returning to earth to give that twit JR a serve... I mean to
    patiently talk to the f... I mean to explain to him a few things
    calmly without rancour...

    dorayme, Jan 13, 2014
  15. Ant

    Lewis Guest

    Lewis, Jan 13, 2014
  16. That's one of the nice things about using a GUI newsreader instead of a
    text-mode reader. MT-NW puts the subject line in the window title, and I
    suspect most others do similarly.

    I remember when I used to use trn to read news 20 years ago. I'm not
    going back.

    Barry Margolin, Jan 13, 2014
  17. Ant

    billy Guest

    You're not alone - I know other people who don't look at subjects, too.
    There's nothing wrong with that, by the way...

    Billy Y..

    billy, Jan 13, 2014
  18. Ant

    billy Guest

    trn and nn are no longer being maintained -

    -rwxr-xr-x 14 news news 269347 Nov 20 2006 /usr/local/bin/nn
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 237568 Jan 17 2000 /usr/local/bin/trn

    So... Although I think it's rude to suggest anyone change newsreaders,
    the age of these means they are not without some problems now. nn in
    particular has trouble with string lengths.

    Billy Y..

    billy, Jan 13, 2014
  19. Ant

    Ant Guest

    No forks? :( I am glad Tin is still updated, but rarely.
    --
    "If someone makes you angry, I think the thing to do is tie them down to
    the ground, cover them in honey, and then release a swarm of killer ants

    Ant, Jan 14, 2014