Is it possible a MB containing the MCP-T is unable to use the Nforce2 APU?

Discussion in 'AOpen' started by Nil Einne, Dec 22, 2003.

  1. Nil Einne

    Nil Einne Guest

    Hi all,

    I have noticed the Aopen AK79D-400 Max in particular does not mention
    the Nforce2 APU anywhere even though it has a MCP-T. I know the MCP-T
    has the APU and my understanding is that there is no need for any sort
    of physical connection between the APU and the codec for it to work.
    Therefore, logically, I don't see any reason why a MCP-T board won't
    be able to use the APU but who knows?

    Should let you all know I'm also aware that a board containing the APU
    is not necessarily SoundStorm compliant. The Aopen board in particular
    is not SoundStorm certified. Of course, I am also aware that this does
    not necessarily mean it is not compliant with the SoundStorm spec.
    However, if the APU can be used at least I know my CPU won't need to
    be used much for sound.

    Thanks for any help all.

    Nil Einne, Dec 22, 2003

  2. Nil Einne

    Wizza Guest

    You got it, Aopen don't have soundstorm compliant motherboard (mainly
    because spdif in/out is a option). But they still use APU from nvidia. You
    will see a ac97 compliant chip on board (from realtek) but this is just used
    as an interface between APU and output jack. So yeah Aopen use nforce 2 APU
    but no they are not Soundstorm compliant....

    Etienne

    Wizza, Jan 25, 2004