Is it possible in MacOS X to do network authentication for offline notebooks?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Jeremy Webber, Dec 9, 2003.

  1. I am the administrator for a number of Macs at our site, and would
    like to move away from having local accounts on the Macs.

    We use NIS for authentication in the UNIX domain, so that seems a
    logical choice (our users then just use their NIS account to access
    the Mac).

    Now, the problem: what about notebooks, which are often disconnected
    from the network and so cannot access the NIS server?

    If I configure the notebook to authenticate against NIS it works fine
    when connected, but doesn't work when disconnected. It looks like the
    CacheAgent starts from scratch on each reboot.

    With Windows notebooks, once a user has authenticated against a domain
    once on a notebook, the notebook retains a local copy of the
    credentials so the user can re-authenticate even if the network is not
    there.

    Is there anything equivalent on the Mac?

    I'm using Jaguar (10.2.6), but would be interested in any changes in
    Panther which would help.

    And yes, the home directories on the notebooks are local.

    TIA,
    Jeremy

    Jeremy Webber, Dec 9, 2003

  2. Jeremy Webber

    Simon Slavin Guest

    Mac OS X Server. Especially OS X 10.3 Server which has features
    for notebooks and similar devices which spend most of their time
    not connected to the server.

    Simon Slavin, Dec 12, 2003