Is it possible to RMA boards for a better board that supports what the orginal board was suppost to.

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Liquid, Jul 13, 2006.

  1. Liquid

    Liquid Guest

    My question is is possible to RMA or exchange a motherboard for one
    that supports what the original is suppost to but doesn't?

    One board I'm having problem with is a A7V333 that won't work with
    3x1GB modules. ASUS tech support says and site says only 2x1GB now but
    board was advertised on box and manual when bought to work with up to
    3GB way back.

    Other even older board a TX97-XE socket 7 says it works with
    K6-2/333mhz but doesn't so far can't find documention neither can tech
    support to set vcore to 2.2 and multiplier 5. Only vcore to 2.1 or 2.5
    in current docs and multiplier 4.5 not 5. Using this box as a firewall
    with IPcop pretty cool but snort uses up a lot of cpu resources when
    both interfaces are watched green and red.

    I would think they might for good image and the boards I would want
    replacement are far from in high demand now.

    Any info from others or the guru Paul would be appreciated.

    -Liquid

    Liquid, Jul 13, 2006

  2. I used to have a TX97-E and used a K6-2/350 CPU at 400 MHz by setting
    the multiplier to 2 (which the CPU automatically set to 6). The same
    should work with the 333 CPU. I didn't have to do any changes to the
    vcore to make this work.

    Michael W. Ryder, Jul 13, 2006

  3. Liquid

    Liquid Guest

    Ok I will try that. I think I would burn the chip if I kept the vcore
    at 2.9 what the old chip was set at I think it would fry. Being that
    www.cpu-world.com says voltage for this new chip at 2.0 +/- .1 volt. I
    will try the multiplier setting and vcore at 2.1 and then 2.5 and hope
    it doesn't burn at 2.5. Thanks anyone got anymore info on getting
    better boards for stuff that was said to work but doesn't?

    Liquid, Jul 13, 2006
  4. Liquid

    Liquid Guest

    2.2 vcore I meant.