Is it possible to upgrade an ASUS 1000H with an SSD card to make it a HE?

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Pete D, Apr 18, 2009.

  1. Pete D

    Pete D Guest

    Subject says it all.

    I have a 1000H, is there a slot for an SSD card to drop into?

    Thanks.

    Pete

    Pete D, Apr 18, 2009

  2. Pete D

    Larry Guest

    Unplug the hard drive out of it and the SSD plugs right in...same drive
    type. Of course, you'll want to do an image of the hard drive so you'll
    have an OS when you get there....(c;]

    It's not going to make the battery last much longer for all that
    money....if that's your aim. SSDs consume quite a bit of power, too.

    Tell XP to shut down the hard drive 15 seconds at idle....You'll have to
    wait a little for it to respin when you need something, but the battery
    lasts lots longer without buying some expensive SSD.

    Extra batteries are much cheaper....

    Larry

    I've decided to worship Thor. My god has a hammer and isn't
    afraid to use it. Your god is a pacifist who got nailed to a
    tree.

    Any questions?

    Larry, Apr 18, 2009

  3. Pete D

    Pete D Guest

    Thanks Larry but the HE has both a 160Gb drive and a 10Gb SSD, this
    apparently extends the battery life and also speeds up the system.

    The 1000H that I have only has the 160Gb drive.

    Cheers.

    Pete

    Pete D, Apr 19, 2009
  4. Pete D

    Larry Guest

    "Speeding up" an Atom netbook borders on simply hilarious. What extends
    its battery life is it runs at a much more leisurely pace than a quad
    core, rip-em-up supercomputer-in-a-laptop-case.

    I think you're buying a gimmick. Let's buy a 160GB netbook and plug in
    a 16GB SDHC card into its external slot. It won't do anything for
    speed, but it's cool and cheaper.

    Windows XP is stored, with all its files, on the 160GB hard drive. That
    drive will run nearly continuously if you're busying the machine as
    Windows and all that spyware crap it attracts like nails to a magnet are
    constantly reading and writing to disk. 10GB SSD isn't big enough for
    all that.

    I think you're buying a gimmick.

    I'll help make your netbook experience much more pleasurable. I think
    the HE and H have a GLOSSY screen. Before you lay down that credit
    card, put a movie on it or some youtube clip and walk OUTSIDE to watch
    it where netbooks live. You can't even see the picture for the MIRROR
    REFLECTING EVERYTHING BRIGHTLY LIT UP.

    I want you to set it down next to a non-reflective screen with a non-
    reflective flat black border and watch the same clip. Don't buy
    anything until you try this. All the superspeed in the world is useless
    if you CAN'T SEE THE PICTURE....my #1 reason for the Samsung NC10 in
    black. It reflects nothing and is a pleasure to watch in anything short
    of direct sun like Oz has...(c;]

    Larry, Apr 19, 2009
  5. Pete D

    Pete D Guest

    Not sure what you have been sipping on but I already have a 1000H and just
    for your info it has a beautiful matt screen that even in full sunlight is
    readable.

    Anyway, do you actually have any info about the 1000H or not? I have since
    found out that the H and the HE chassis design is different and the H does
    not have the space, now you know.

    Regards.

    Pete

    Pete D, Apr 20, 2009
  6. Pete D

    Telstar Guest

    He is a complete, pedantic, and bombastic idiot. Leave him fail.

    Telstar, Apr 21, 2009
  7. Pete D

    Pete D Guest

    Fair enough but that does not mean I have to be one too. I have actually
    upgraded to 2Gb of RAM and running mainstream programs just fine, pretty
    impressed really.

    Cheers.

    Pete

    Pete D, Apr 24, 2009