Is it possible to upgrade RAM in a newly-purchased MacBook Air?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by jackshown, May 1, 2013.

  1. jackshown

    jackshown Guest

    When puchasing a Retina MacBook Pro, I am told that you must choose 8-gig of RAM or 16-gig at the time of purchase.

    If this is true, does the same hold true for all other Mac laptops or is itjust the Retina?

    I may want to purchase a 4-gig MacBook Air for my daughter and let her pickit up at the University Apple Store without having to wait several days for the upgrade from 4-gig to 8-gig. If the upgrade is required at purchase,I want to make the best decision.

    Her 2010 MacBook Pro inadvertently fell to the floor and was damaged at thecorner with the MagSafe. This damage prevents recharging the MBP. It also caused her monitor to be temporarily purple-shaded.

    Apple repair says that the repair would be $300 to replace the case to fix the MagSafe and, if the monitor needs replacement, it would be an additional $700.

    If you were faced with this decision, would you:

    1) pay the $300 and wait for the new MacBook Air to arrive in June?

    2) buy the MacBook Air now and chuck the damaged MBP?

    3) do something else?

    As always, thanks a bunch for your help.

    Jack

    jackshown, May 1, 2013

  2. jackshown

    JF Mezei Guest

    I do ot have the authoritative answer, but I believe Apple stopped using
    sockets and uses soldered memory on the newer models. So they may not be
    upgradeable. So you would have to order it with whatever final memory
    you will want on it.

    Other will chime in to confirm, or you may go to ifixit.com to see their
    teardown of that model.

    JF Mezei, May 1, 2013

  3. jackshown

    Bread Guest

    AFAIK, it applies to the Retina models and the Air models. The
    "traditional" MBPs still take standard RAM.

    For example, see here:
    For the Air, you need to buy the RAM at purchase. It cannot be upgraded later.
    I'd probably pay the $300, but not the additional $700. Of course, I'm
    still squeezing use out of a 2007 Mac Book Pro 15" (which now has an
    SSD, 6GB of RAM (more than Apple says it can use)).

    Bread, May 1, 2013
  4. jackshown

    Lewis Guest

    Neither the MacBook Air nor the Retina can have their RAM upgraded.

    Lewis, May 1, 2013
  5. jackshown

    jackshown Guest

    I really appreciate your help. Thanks JF, Bread and Lewis.

    jackshown, May 1, 2013
  6. Dear friends:

    That is very interesting, I have the same Mac Book Pro with 4 GB of RAM,
    and I want to add more memory to it. How did it you?

    Juan I. Cahis, May 1, 2013
  7. jackshown

    Bread Guest

    Bread, May 1, 2013
  8. Jack-

    I would look for an independent Apple repair center. Their prices
    should be less than Apple's. For a "temporary" repair, you might get
    the case fixed and leave the display as-is. That should last until the
    new models come out. Hopefully they will be available before the new
    school year begins.

    I think the MacBook Air is glued together. It may be possible to undo
    it, but could be messy. If RAM is not socketed, it would be difficult
    to change. I recommend ordering such a computer with as much RAM as you
    can afford.

    Fred

    Fred McKenzie, May 2, 2013
  9. jackshown

    Lewis Guest

    Apple lists the maximum as 4GB but the actual maximum is 6GB. You can
    either put in a 4GB and 2GB module, or 2x4GB modules. This last option
    wastes 2GB of RAM, but the memory will perform a little bit faster.
    Supposedly.

    Lewis, May 2, 2013
  10. jackshown

    David Empson Guest

    I have seen mention that models around this period (which work with 6
    GB) don't work properly if 8 GB is installed: things start to go strange
    once it starts using memory beyond the 4 GB mark. I think it was in the
    Other World Computing blog, but it appears they no longer have posts
    prior to August 2008 on the site, and it would have predated that.

    The lead post in this thread mentions some of the details.

    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=573906

    Installing 4 GB + 2 GB is safe, but suffers a small performance penalty
    due to mismatched memory sizes. The extra memory and resulting increase
    in caching tends to outweigh the performance loss.

    David Empson, May 2, 2013
  11. Dear friends:

    Mine has two 2GB modules. Would be OK if I replace only one of them by a
    4GB module, or will it be necessary to replace both of them by new ones "of
    the same brand and generation"?

    Juan I. Cahis, May 2, 2013
  12. <
    iganews.com>,
    Take your system into an Apple Store and ask the Genius Bar. This was
    the rule some years ago but I have no idea what the requirement is for
    newer model systems. You could lookup your older model on lowendmacs or
    some such. They list all the older model specs.

    Michael Vilain, May 2, 2013
  13. jackshown

    Guest Guest

    anyone at apple will tell you the official answer, that 4 gig is the
    maximum.

    Guest, May 2, 2013
  14. jackshown

    Bread Guest

    On 2013-05-01 14:05:21 +0000, Bread said:

    [Just saw taht I'd snipped out the wrong thing -- the below was in response
    to the question of how I put 6GB into my '07 MacBookPro]

    Bread, May 2, 2013
  15. jackshown

    Lewis Guest

    Supposedly 2x4GB will be a bit faster, but I don't think it's worth it.

    Lewis, May 3, 2013