Is it possible to upgrade the Motherboard or CPU for a Deskpro EN SFF?

Discussion in 'Compaq' started by Tom, Oct 18, 2004.

  1. Tom

    Tom Guest

    Hi,

    I have a PIII 1GHz Compaq Deskpro EN (ENS/P1.0e/6/128cn).

    It's a Small Form Factor (SFF) type case, and the microATX boards that I
    thought might replace it don't seem to have things in the right place (if
    you know what I mean) to fit the case.

    I would like to upgrade this to a P4 motherboard if possible, or can someone
    tell me what is the fastest processor that I can put on the existing
    motherboard.

    Does anyone have any info on this?

    Cheers,

    Tom

    Tom, Oct 18, 2004

  2. Tom

    HH Guest

    I'd forget it. Motherboard swaps are very difficult on Compaqs, Dells,
    Gateways, etc. In addiotion to the problem you noted, the front panel
    connector (onn/off, power and HD LEDs) also is proprietary for the
    preinstalled board.
    HH

    HH, Oct 18, 2004

  3. Tom

    Ben Myers Guest

    The Compaq DeskPro SFF motherboards are not upgradable. The motherboard form
    factor is unique, to put it mildly.

    Many of the DeskPro EN series can be upgraded with a bit of extra work, because
    they use ATX form factor motherboards. The wiring to the front panel needs to
    be changed to more conventional LEDs-and-wire leads. (This is easy for me
    because I've saved lots of LEDs and wires from hundreds of computers I've
    scrapped.) For a Pentium 4 class computer, the power supply must be changed.
    But the result is hardly worth the effort... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Oct 18, 2004
  4. Tom

    Tom Guest

    Thanks guys,

    Any ideas on what would be the fastest CPU i can put onto this board,
    as it is right now?

    Tom

    Tom, Oct 19, 2004
  5. Tom

    Ben Myers Guest

    You're pretty close to the fastest now. It's likely that an expensive 1.4GHz
    PowerLeap kit would do the job, but check with PowerLeap first. The improvement
    in overall speed would not be significant... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Oct 19, 2004