Is it possible to use old PS/2 mice with USB adapters on MacBookPros?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Ant, Nov 4, 2012.

  1. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Hello.

    For kicks, I tried a couple old PS/2 mice with two different USB adapter
    brands that have splitters for PS/2 mice and keyboards on one end.
    However, updated Mac OS X (10.5.8 and 10.8.2) kept detecting them as
    keyboards even if the mice are not even connected to the adapter. Heh.
    Maybe I can't use splitters, but I have to get a pure adapter?

    Thank you in advance. :)
    --
    "We are anthill men upon an anthill world." --Ray Bradbury
    | |o o| |

    Ant, Nov 4, 2012

  2. Try a third party USB input device driver. I would suggest USB
    Overdrive, but support has almost completely vanished (though I see
    amazingly there was actually a recent update for the first time in over
    a year, but it doesn't fix any of my issues), leaving a buggy
    feature-incomplete mess with the latest version. I still use an earlier
    version of USBO - v10.4.8 - with OSX 10.6. But I understand there are
    other third party USB input device drivers out there, I've just not
    tried them myself.

    *Googles*

    Ok, SteerMouse <http://plentycom.jp/en/steermouse/> looks good from it's
    description. I'd give it a go and see it helps your system recognise
    your mouse as a mouse. If not, I'm afraid it may be time to buy a nice
    new USB mouse. I particularly like Razer's DeathAdder
    <http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-mice/razer-deathadder>.

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Nov 4, 2012

  3. Ant

    Ant Guest

    I just tried it on my client's old MacBook Pro, with its Mac OS X
    10.5.8, and it didn't help. The program did detect the PS/2 mouse though
    as shown in my screen shot/capture: http://i.imgur.com/F6mKP.png ... :)

    Oh well I will tell my client to get a cheap new USB mouse. So many old
    stuff he has! At least it was interesting experiments/tests to see if
    the old stuff even worked. I wonder what's next. :p
    --
    "To the gods I am an ant, but to the ants, I am a god." --unknown
    | |o o| |

    Ant, Nov 5, 2012
  4. It probably cost your client more to do this research than it did for
    him to buy a USB mouse on-line. Seems that priorities are all screwed
    up here.

    That is, if you're charging for getting such information. If you
    aren't, why not?

    Michael Vilain, Nov 5, 2012