    time, it sounded like the hard drive was turning off and on very rapidly.
    If I replace the power supply now, will I be able to save my hard drive or
    is it that once it starts behaving like this, it's too late? Thanks.

    Travis King, May 15, 2006

  2. Travis King

    Paul Guest

    If it is turning on and off rapidly, it is not completely
    dead. That might not be good for the drive, but if it is
    still flapping around, then it hasn't completely failed.
    If it just stopped doing it, then its dead :)

    The only way to be sure, it to wait until the new supply
    is connected.

    Do you own a multimeter/voltmeter ? Grab a molex drive connector
    and measure the +5V and +12V on there. That will give you
    some idea how screwed up the bad supply is. If the voltages
    are within 5% of nominal, it might be a drive problem.

    The flapping about, could be a defect on the hard drive
    controller itself. Do you have more than one disk drive
    connected, and are they all doing it ?

    Paul

    Paul, May 15, 2006

  3. Travis King

    Travis King Guest

    I have two hard disks connected. The *one* that's flapping around did for
    about three seconds, stopped flapping, but once Windows started up, the hard
    drive was working normally and I had no problems. (Meaning that at the end
    of the flapping, it stayed on.) I have on occasion been working on the
    computer and hear the hard drive turn on, (I don't ever hear it turn off,
    however) but when this happens, it still responds properly even in the
    middle of this, so it apparently doesn't shut off long enough to cause any
    problems. One died a month ago, and now this one. I now have my
    replacement hard drive for the one that died a month ago. The one that died
    a month ago was acting similar to how the one that's acting up now is,
    except for the last one didn't flap around rapidly. It just started making
    grinding noises, so I began backing up my data immediately. I was playing
    music in Windows Media Player, and the computer just suddenly halted, and I
    once again heard a grinding noise. Then I waited a little longer, and then
    I heard it turn off and on (although not rapidly). I shut off the computer
    and turned it back on and it was no longer detected. (Although I do believe
    that hard drive came back on.) My video card also died a week after the
    hard drive died, although that might have been in part due to that card
    being a cheap one anyway. (It was underclocked.)

    Travis King, May 15, 2006
  4. Travis King

    Bill Smith Guest

    Could be a faulty power line/connector. I've experianced device
    failure simply due to a week power rail. When I switch
    lines/connectors it helped...go figure...

    Bill Smith, May 15, 2006
  5. Travis King

    Travis King Guest

    Should I disconnect the drive that's having problems or will it not hurt to
    keep running it? If that hard drive fails, I'm going to get a SATA hard
    drive because my K8N supports them. (I used to have an A7V333.)

    Travis King, May 15, 2006
  6. Travis King

    Kyle Guest

    I agree with Bill, I've seen bad pin crimps on the molex HD connectors
    that caused odd HD problems. I've also seen mobo voltage regulator
    problems look like PS problems, iow, the CPU regulator was failing due
    to bad caps and it looked and sounded just like the HD was having a
    serious problem. In fact, the mobo Vcore regulator circuit was
    seriously affecting the stability of the PS 5v rail. The symptoms of
    a failure are never entirely predictable. This could also be a heat
    problem, have you cleaned out the machine lately to get rid of the
    build up of dust, dirt and other undesirable phlegma?

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle

    Kyle, May 16, 2006
  7. Travis King

    Travis King Guest

    I clean out my computer regularly, so there's hardly any dust.

    Travis King, May 16, 2006
  8. Travis King

    pH Guest

    One other problem which I've been introduced to, is a "contact failure"
    which takes place between the drive's controller board and casing.
    That is: On the controller board, is a couple of rows of contacts, with
    solder blobs on them. These mate with a small strip of "spikes", on
    the drive casing. I had--what I thought to be--a dead drive. Using a
    small tool, I burnished the solder blobs (effectively "closing the holes"),
    re-assembled, and the drive has performed like new, ever since.

    Jeff

    http://jefftturner.com

    pH, May 16, 2006
  9. Travis King

    Travis King Guest

    Well, the new PSU arrived today, so I'm just about to try it out.

    Travis King, May 19, 2006
  10. Travis King

    Travis King Guest

    Well, it's working so far.