    not even when writing in Wordpad.

    Where is this glitch -- in the software or in hardware
    controllers for the mouse on laptops?

    Don Phillipson, May 28, 2013

  2. Don Phillipson

    P.V. Guest

    "Don Phillipson" kirjoitti viestissä:ko2s4a$h9e$...
    Sounds familiar. Same has happened to me too; turned out on one laptop I
    kept accidentally hitting the pointing stick when pressing keys around it
    (on some laptops tapping the stick is interpreted as a click by default). On
    another occasion part of hand sneaked on the touchpad, doing random stuff
    there. Could it be something like this in your case too?

    P.V.

    P.V., May 28, 2013

  3. Your palm is grazing the touchpad as you type.

    the wharf rat, May 29, 2013
  4. Don Phillipson

    Happy Oyster Guest

    What you describe is a pest. It is caused by an utmost idiotic shit we
    are confronted with: the touchpads. The only really useful tool for
    navigating is a trackball. But as it is a mechanical device,
    manufacturers by all means try to avoid the. IBM had a miniature
    "joystick", which somehow works. That thing is easier to produce than a
    trackball. A touchpad is much simpler, and so it is cheaper. We are
    defrauded with cheap dreck.

    On some notebooks, netbookds, etc the touchpads can bw switched off by a
    special command sequence entered via control keys. On some, but not on
    all. In that case, there is only one way to kill that damned stuff: open
    the computer and pull out the connectors of the touchpad.

    If you do not want to open the computer, the next solution is to put
    something over the touchpad. I found some layers of "post-it" sheets
    usefull since they have (a bit of) adhesive to glue them to the touchpad
    surface. As the touchpads use capacitance for physical action, the added
    layers of paper reduce that sufficiently.

    Happy Oyster, Jun 2, 2013
  5. Don Phillipson

    ~misfit~ Guest

    If you're using Windows it's quite easy to disable the touchpad in Device
    Manager if it bothers you that much. Only takes 20 seconds, better than
    wallpapering your palm rest.
    --
    /Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

    ~misfit~, Jun 2, 2013
  6. Don Phillipson

    Happy Oyster Guest

    I am using Linux. I don't know if that has some ways to disable it.
    Also, I use a bunch of systems on 1 hardware. So disabling it at the
    hardware/firmware level is best.

    Where in the devide manager is the touchpad part located?

    Happy Oyster, Jun 3, 2013
  7. Don Phillipson

    Sjouke Burry Guest

    At least with one laptop, I could disable the onboard mouse(the pad)
    in the bios.

    Sjouke Burry, Jun 3, 2013
  8. Don Phillipson

    ~misfit~ Guest

    On this T60 ThinkPad it's Trackpoint is under 'Mice and other pointing
    devices' and the Touchpad is under 'Human interface devices'.

    ~misfit~, Jun 3, 2013
  9. Don Phillipson

    Happy Oyster Guest

    Thanks. I will have to search there. But I do not trust Microsoft. Their
    constantly changing settings might foul up.

    Happy Oyster, Jun 4, 2013