    I don't think their are any programs that require a 256 Meg graphics
    card.

    Regards Brian

    Brian, Feb 9, 2004

  2. Brian

    Tod Guest

    Some cards that come with 256MBs of memory come with slower memory.
    200mhz (200 DDR= 400) vs. 300mhz(300 DDR=600)
    That is why some 256MB cards only cost a little more then the 128MB ones
    Regular ATI 9600s (and PROs and XTs) have 128 bit wide memory pathways.
    ATI 9600SE have only 64 bit wide memory pathways.

    Now having even the slower 200mhz (400) memory is still better then the
    graphics card
    having to use main memory thru the AGP aperture.

    Someone doing video editing might benefit from the extra memory on the card.
    Also having the extra memory may just be a selling gimmick.

    Tod, Feb 9, 2004

  3. Brian

    Darthy Guest

    No gain or worse.

    Darthy, Feb 9, 2004
  4. Brian

    NightSky 421 Guest

    The only software which I know specifically says it will take advantage of a
    256MB video card is a game called Call of Duty. However, it is definitely
    not a requirement for the game.

    I think 256MB on any current generation video card is a waste of time and
    money. The only way in which I see it remotely useful is if you are willing
    to fork out for the highest-end graphics cards, such as the 5950 Ultra or
    9800XT. For lesser cards, it's not worthwhile at all IMHO.

    Anyway, if you are doing looking to buy a new video card but are still doing
    OK with what you currently have, you might want to wait at least two to
    three months for when next generation cards get released. Or, if you want
    to be truly ambitious, wait for the fall when PCI Express comes out and buy
    a new motherboard, processor, memory and video card combo.

    NightSky 421, Feb 12, 2004
  5. Brian

    Darthy Guest

    Nope... I have COD - Its a Quake3 Engine class game. Really not
    detailed, but its a very GOOD game (Art / music / sfx / map design)...
    It doesn't take a typical 64mb Ti4200 or 9500 video card.

    With 256mb, the 9800Pro is no faster...
    http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/vga-charts-15.html

    In UT2003, it gains a whole 3fps.
    The 9800XT sells for $500 - next to it, the 9800Pro at $250~300...

    They can keep the $250 differnce price tag... it ain't worth the
    5-10fps over the PRO.

    Darthy, Feb 13, 2004