Is Larrabee Dead?: The Tangled Future of CPUs and GPUs

Discussion in 'Intel' started by Intel Guy, Dec 15, 2009.

  1. Intel Guy

    Intel Guy Guest

    December 11, 2009 -By Michael J. Miller
    Is Larrabee Dead?: The Tangled Future of CPUs and GPUs

    http://tinyurl.com/ydfglks

    We've seen a lot of stories this week about Intel's announcement that it
    would not be shipping a version of its "Larrabee" processor as a
    graphics chip in the next few months, as the company had previously
    announced. Instead, Intel says it will ship this processor only as a
    development platform for now, while continuing to work on it. While some
    have taken this as the "death" of Larrabee, I see it mostly as a
    continuing indication of just how hard it is to bring the theory of
    parallel processing into the practice of the real world.

    I'm certain Intel will continue to work on many of the concepts within
    Larrabee, because the overall directions of both the CPU and the GPU
    markets require it. As I see it, the two big trends in general processor
    designs are a push for much greater parallelism, particularly for
    high-end computing; and much more integration, particularly for
    mainstream and low-end computing. The Larrabee project had implications
    for both of those; and for how Intel, AMD, and Nvidia compete going
    forward.

    Intel Guy, Dec 15, 2009

  2. Intel Guy

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    I think the only way Intel is going to finally be successful at GPUs is
    when they decide to follow the lead of the market, rather than trying to
    dictate to it. This is relevant to most of their other ventures too, not
    just GPUs.

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Dec 15, 2009