    Bios 2 recovery that is detailed on pg. 4-5 of the manual but I can't seem
    to get that far. Am I totaly F---ed?

    TIA

    Johnny B, May 30, 2004

  2. Johnny B

    Paul Guest

    There are two parts to the flash - the boot block (a minimal bootstrap
    loader) and the main body of the code. I think the Asus Crash Free relies
    on the boot block for the recovery process.

    On some Asus flash updates, they select an option to not only update
    the main body of the flash, but also the boot block. This kind of flash
    update is the most dangerous, because Crash Free is then not available
    in case of a failure. Either you answered "yes" to a prompt as to whether
    it was OK to update the boot block, or you used one of those Asus
    wrapper files that sends command line arguments to the flash program,
    to do both parts of the flash. (Only a Gigabyte board equipped with
    two flash chips, has this solved, and not all their boards have the
    second chip installed.)

    Long story short, badflash.com for a new BIOS chip.

    BIOS Savior from ioss.com.tw if you don't want this to happen
    ever again (~$25).

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, May 30, 2004