    Manufacturer : Gigabyte
    Model : GA-880GM-UD2H

    TIA

    Bob Smith, Feb 11, 2011

  2. Bob Smith

    Paul Guest

    The answer for X2 255 is "Yes".

    http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUDetail.aspx?id=627

    Operating Mode 32 Bit Yes
    Operating Mode 64 Bit Yes

    In the case of the current AMD architecture (memory interface
    on processor), that makes the motherboard largely irrelevant in
    this question. There were some Intel boards a while back, which
    would "crimp the style" of a 64 bit OS, as the Northbridge only
    had 32 bit addresses on it, instead of 36 for PAE and the like,
    and also lacked memory remapping. And the resulting ~3GB limit
    would then make a 64 bit OS less attractive (i.e. to support large amounts
    of memory). On such a motherboard, you could physically install
    4x2GB of RAM, but half of it would be ignored in all cases (no
    matter what OS). And that was a Northbridge limit. The AMD
    Hypertransport bus, as far as I know, has a pretty extensive
    addressing range - it has to, in order to support coherent
    links on Opteron server systems, where all processors can address
    all RAM on the computer.

    As far as I know, virtually any motherboard compatible with that
    processor, is going to work with a 64 bit OS. As long as there
    are drivers, of course. And Windows has quite a few built in
    drivers. Windows 7 has I/O space IDE, PCI space IDE, native SATA,
    AHCI (msahci) as well as some RAID (iastorv from Intel). So it can
    boot from a lot of stuff by default. You have to "rearm" the
    driver detection, before changing modes, so if you install in AHCI,
    and want to switch to non-AHCI, there is a registry key to set for
    that (to tell the OS to expect to have to find a new storage
    driver on the next boot).

    Paul

    Paul, Feb 11, 2011