    just bought the laptop with 1 gb memory but may need to ugrade to 2 gb
    when vista kit arrives. pc2-5300 seemed to be cheaper, will my 640M
    accept higher speed memory? TIA

    lisa, Feb 3, 2007

  2. according to crucial.com the 640m accepts two memory modules of up to 2gb
    each of either pc2-4200 or pc2-5300.
    your computer supports dual channel memory access so there is some
    performance gain if they are identical size/speed modules, but you can have
    modules of different sizes in the system. the 2gb modules are very
    expensive ($500 each) so you may have to get two 1gb modules ($100 each) if
    you want to upgrade.
    i can't find the 640m on dell's support site... not under inspiron, not
    under xps/inspiron... anyone know where it is??

    Christopher Muto, Feb 3, 2007

  3. lisa

    WSZsr Guest

  4. ahh, under inspiron it is way down at the bottom of the model listing as
    "e1405/640m". thanks for pointing that out.

    Christopher Muto, Feb 3, 2007