Is ritePen available for regular Windows XP?

Discussion in 'Tablet PC' started by Mickey Segal, May 5, 2004.

  1. Mickey Segal

    Mickey Segal Guest

    To help evaluate whether a regular XP device such as the OQO:
    http://oqo.com
    can be used in much the same way as a real Tablet XP system, I tried to
    purchase the ritePen software:
    http://www.penandinternet.com/piweb/products/ritePen/ritepen_prodinfo.asp
    The manufacturer says it runs on "Windows 98/2000/XP and Windows XP Tablet
    PC Edition" and adds the handwriting recognition missing from OQO's
    pen-enabled computer.

    However, when I tried to order a copy of ritePen:
    http://www.penandinternet.com/piweb/store/index.asp
    there was a choice component on the Checkout form asking for "Intended
    Device" with items to select that seemed to include only small portable
    devices.

    I sent an e-mail to the company a few days ago asking if there was some way
    of ordering a version that works on Windows XP but they didn't answer. Does
    anyone know how to get ritePen for Windows XP?

    Mickey Segal, May 5, 2004

  2. Mickey Segal

    Mickey Segal Guest

    Do you get the same software regardless of whether you select "BlackBerry
    5810", "Palm m105" or "T-Mobile Phone Edition"? I don't feel very
    comfortable paying for a download by choosing something that sounds
    completely unrelated to the Windows XP version I want.

    Mickey Segal, May 5, 2004

  3. Select the first one on that website,

    New Release
    ritePen for Windows v2.0
    (advanced handwriting recognition utility for desktops, pen computers
    and Tablet PC)

    That is the selection for TabletPC, don't worry about the "intended
    device" you'll get the right software.

    Justin Stigall

    Microsoft MVP - Tablet PC
    Moderator - TabletPCBuzz.com

    Justin Stigall [MVP], May 5, 2004
  4. Mickey Segal

    Mickey Segal Guest

    It looks like you are right. I see that the same list of lots of handheld
    devices (including Palm, BlackBerry and T-Mobile Phone Edition but not
    XP-running computers) comes up when you choose a different product such as
    "riteMail for Palm Handhelds v2.0". So it looks like the list is just poor
    Web site design. Hopefully the software will be better.

    Mickey Segal, May 5, 2004