    What about websites viewed in a browser, they rescale don't they?

    Lars
    Stockholm

    Lars, Dec 17, 2008

  2. Lars

    BillW50 Guest

    In Lars typed on Wed, 17 Dec 2008 23:03:12 +0100:
    Generally yes... but not always. As there are variables here that can change
    everything. Basically it boils down to pixels per inch. Screen resolutions
    can change this drastically. For example a very high resolution on a large
    monitor vs. a very low resolution on a small screen, the text will be larger
    on the latter. Although you won't have all of the desktop area. Do you know
    what I mean?

    BillW50, Dec 17, 2008

  3. Lars

    Lars Guest

    Maybe, but I also regret not having said in my o p that I assume the
    resolution to be the same in both cases.

    I am unsure what size 11 for a font actually stands for. Is it pixels
    something?

    Is the size of a pixel related to the screen size, or is it always the
    same "actual size", in millimeters/inches or whatever?

    Lars
    Stockholm

    Lars, Dec 18, 2008
  4. Lars

    M.I.5¾ Guest

    In general the resolution of smaller screens is less than that of larger
    screens. This means that things like windows icons and their associated
    text appear more or less the same actual size on different sizes of screen,
    the larger screens just hold more of them. When it comes to applications,
    it depends on the application. Word, for example, can resize the document
    to fit the screen so word text can appear larger on the larger screen. Or
    alternatively, you can keep it the same size and have more than one document
    visible. Internet Explorer also has the abiliy to resize the text, but
    this can be overridden by the html. Some photo editors won't resize the
    picture so any given picture will occupy less screen space, but be otherwise
    the same (roughly) actual size.

    M.I.5¾, Dec 18, 2008
  5. Lars

    Telstar Guest

    This is completely wrong. You do not mean resolution.

    A small screen, say a netbook, with 1280 x 768, such as the HP 2133,
    provides characters and icons that are greatly smaller than on a larger
    screen. Think PERCEPTION. The physical correlate is pixels per inch,
    connected to font size measurements, as was mentioned by the other poster.

    On such a notebook, I set the advanced settings to enlarge fonts by 135%, or
    you get eyestrain.

    1024 x 600, which is typical for netbooks, has problems because many
    programs assume a larger vertical resolution in pixels, and hence require
    auto scrolling from the video driver.

    Telstar, Dec 18, 2008
  6. Lars

    Telstar Guest

    It is relative...it is called a point size.

    Telstar, Dec 18, 2008
  7. Lars

    Telstar Guest

    Clarification: These measurements had standards originally: Computers do
    not measure inches or mm for such things, they scale to available pixels,
    hence, and generally (but not always) relative.

    See:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_(typography)

    Telstar, Dec 18, 2008
  8. Lars

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Lars" typed:
    It's related to screen size. How else could my ThinkPad laptop have this
    (wonderful) 1400x1050 15" screen and there also be a 1024x768 15" option?

    ~misfit~, Dec 18, 2008
  9. Lars

    M.I.5¾ Guest

    Oh yes I do mean resolution. This (large) screen has a resolution of 1280 x
    1024 pixels. The somewhat smaller screen next to it has a resolution of
    1024 x 768 pixels. As a result, the windows icons and text appear roughly
    the same size (not exactly, but roughly).
    I use a laptop with a screen of that resolution at home without enlarging
    anything without problems, but I guess we are all different.
    Not all video drivers support auto scrolling and the current crop of nVidia
    drivers in particular do not (but I believe ATI still do).

    M.I.5¾, Dec 18, 2008
  10. Lars

    M.I.5¾ Guest

    Which was more or less my point that you rubbished.
    That page doesn't exist.

    Point size refers to type size on a printed page and is measured in seventy
    seconds of an inch (in the UK - other jurisdictions may vary). Thus 10
    point type is printed on a page such that capital letters (without
    descenders) is ten - seventy seconds of an inch high.

    M.I.5¾, Dec 18, 2008
  11. Lars

    M.I.5¾ Guest

    Point size has little to do with the size of text on a screen and certainly
    isn't relative. I can set a word document up in 10 point type, but
    depending on how word is set up and what it is displaying, it could be
    displayed on the screen 1 inch high (or even larger) or so small that it is
    unreadable.

    Point size is specifically a measurement of text size on a printed page with
    there being 72 points to the inch (in the UK).

    M.I.5¾, Dec 18, 2008
  12. Lars

    Telstar Guest

    Wrong. It simply does not work as a URL within a net document. Go to
    Wikipedia for Point typography, and this is the URL.

    Telstar, Dec 18, 2008
  13. Lars

    M.I.5¾ Guest

    It's irrelevant anyway as I have pointed out elsewhere.

    M.I.5¾, Dec 19, 2008
  14. Lars

    Telstar Guest

    As are you.

    Telstar, Dec 19, 2008
  15. Lars

    Telstar Guest

    I agree completely.

    Telstar, Dec 19, 2008
  16. Lars

    M.I.5¾ Guest

    Insulting people who point out that you are wrong doesn't make you any more
    right.

    It just shows you up as a fuckwit who gets a one way ticket to the killfile.

    M.I.5¾, Dec 22, 2008