    I have an AGP board and financially speaking, going to PCIExpress (and by
    default, another CPU) is not really doable. With my 9600pro I cant really run
    far cry at 1600x1200. It chugs along, even with shadows off.

    Newbie, Dec 22, 2005

  2. Newbie

    Newbie Guest

    Oh yeah..I have a 2ghz Athlon with 768 ram. FEAR is almost unplayble..seems
    like sloppy programming (like Halo PC). Just my two cents.

    Newbie, Dec 22, 2005

  3. Newbie

    Peter Guest

    The 6600gt is faster than alot of cards in the midrange for the money, but
    for that resolution I would get the 6800 because its about 40 bucks more and
    uses a whole lot less power . What monitor are you using.

    Peter, Dec 22, 2005
  4. Newbie

    Newbie Guest

    I'm using a 19' Viewsonic flat screen monitor. When I play Far Cry on 1600
    (shadows off) its like a slideshow with my 9600pro. But its soooooooo
    beautiful. Just slowwwwww!

    Newbie, Dec 22, 2005
  5. Newbie

    Peter Guest

    You have to keep turning stuff down until it runs at a good frame rate. ie
    higher res lower frame rate. the 6600 is probably 4x faster . bye gl

    Peter, Dec 22, 2005
  6. Newbie

    Conor Guest

    A tad optimistic. More like double.

    Have a look at the benchmarks here:

    http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/07/05/vga_charts_vii/

    Conor, Dec 22, 2005
  7. Newbie

    Newbie Guest

    Wow..NICE side by side comparison! Youre right..he was just a bit optimistic,
    but not that far off. Its a shame that, to get a 7800GT, I'd have to not only
    upgrade the motherboard, but the power supply, ram, get better cooling, etc
    which would rocket the upgrade price to over 500. Such is life.

    Newbie, Dec 22, 2005
  8. Newbie

    Newbie Guest

    I think I will go with the 6800Gt rather than the 6600 and sell my 9600pro for
    about 100. The jump in performance for Doom 3 at high settings at 1600(based
    on the comparison chart) between the 9600pro and the 6800GT is just
    staggering..I had no idea it was THAT much of a jump. Now, the tech guy also
    said that I shouldnt upgrade my 2ghz athlon since most video cards run the
    same. Not sure how accurate THAT statement is, but at any rate (no pun) it
    really puts things in perspective.

    And to think I paid 200 bucks for my ati radeon 9600 pro just a couple of
    years ago, and and now going for the 6800GT for just a few dollars more is in
    some instances more than (unless my eyes decieve me) FIVE times the
    horsepower? Just damn..

    Only thing missing from the 6800GT is a Ferrari logo (course if I win the
    lottery its 7800 SLI all the way)

    Newbie, Dec 22, 2005
  9. Newbie

    twobirds Guest

    Good luck with that. They sell new for around $65.
    http://tinyurl.com/afcbd
    Such is technology. I'll guaruntee that within weeks or a few months of
    slapping down your money, there will be something better you "might have
    waited for"

    twobirds, Dec 23, 2005
  10. Newbie

    Inglo Guest

    I sold my used 9600 Pro a year and a half ago fro $85. Don't think
    you'll get 100 for it in USD.

    Inglo, Dec 23, 2005
  11. Newbie

    Conor Guest

    I've just gone from 6600GT to 7800GT. It IS worth it. Got an Asrock
    939Dual SATA2 motherboard that has both an AGP and a PCI-e socket
    whilst I saved up for the 7800GT.

    Conor, Dec 23, 2005
  12. Did the AGP port on the Asrock board run the 6600GT at it's
    fullist potential? I opted for the BioStar NF4UL-A9. It has an AGP
    slot, but BioStar calls it an XGP slot. I heard that GF4 Ti, and
    Radeon 9800 era cards work in it, but I have yet to hear if the 6xxx
    AGP cards work. Heard an ATI 850XT AGP didn't though, so I may be
    outta luck with my 6600GT. Still getting parts for the system to put
    together, so I'm gona do the videocard last.

    Larry Roberts, Dec 23, 2005
  13. Newbie

    Conor Guest

    Worked absolutely fine. Got a score slightly above the same card on an
    Abit AN7 board running an XP3200 which is inline with what I'd expect
    changing up to a Athlon64 3500+ but running 3 DIMMS, hence only in
    single channel mode for memory. Certainly didn't slow the board down
    and I ran Doom3 at 1280x1024 High Detail returning mid 40's in the
    Timedemo test.

    Conor, Dec 23, 2005
  14. Wow, it's a guy at a tech store, what do you expect? Personally, I think
    that the 6600 is probably not *four* times faster than the 9600 but the
    6600 is much faster. 'Four times' literally speaking means when the 9600
    would be getting 60fps on a game, you'd clock a nice 240 on the 6600.
    Take it all into prospective.

    I'd also not buy from a retail store but go online to a store like
    NewEgg or OutPost or ZipZoomFly, they have a broader selection, and you
    can consult with the comments that people leave there.

    Dain Birlinksky, Dec 27, 2005