    cables. Is the audio output from the Mini's audio jack the equivalent to
    my old iBook's and will it use the same cables?

    TIA

    hoarse with no name, May 29, 2005

  2. hoarse with no name

    Adrian Guest

    The Mini has an audio line out/headphone out - it will work the same.

    Adrian, May 29, 2005

  3. hoarse with no name

    Jef Tenner Guest

    As I said in another post the mac mini is also an ibook so they will be the
    same.

    Jef Tenner, May 29, 2005
  4. It occurred to me that Jef Tenner wrote in comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc:
    Could I have some of that stuff you've been smoking? Seems pretty potent
    to me!

    Martijn van Buul, May 29, 2005
  5. hoarse with no name

    Paul Sture Guest

    Using Thunderbird here. I can see how to create a junkfile for private
    email, but have no idea how to do similar for newgroups.

    Any help appreciated.

    Paul Sture, May 29, 2005
  6. Have you looked at Tools->Message Filters... ?

    Andy

    Andy Mulhearn, May 29, 2005
  7. hoarse with no name

    Paul Sture Guest

    Yep. And I've just upgraded to the latest version to see if that helped,
    but still no joy.

    The most amazing thing is that entering "killfile" into Thunderbird help
    reveals no matches whatsoever.

    I really think I must look for another product, for I fear they have
    lost the plot in terms of what _I_ wish to do.

    Paul Sture, May 29, 2005
  8. Having checked and looked at Google it appears this is for e-mail only,
    less than usefly IMHO. Apologies for sending you on a wild goose chase.

    I've not had the need to use a killfile on a newsreader so it hasn't
    ocurred to me that this doesn't work. As you say it was suggested for
    1.0 but has clearly slipped :(

    I too have been looking for a newsreader to replace Thunderbird having
    got fed up with it's poor handling of SPAM (how many times do I have to
    get's the idea I want to filter those messages?) and gone back to
    mail.app which handles spam extraordinarily well. I haven't found
    anything on OSX that can replace Firefox fore news though. Not without
    spending money. I did use HogWasher a year ago before a stint on the
    darkside. Perhaps I can find my registration key.

    I've also got fed up with Firefox looping and taking all my CPU time so
    am back with Safari, but that's another story.

    Andy

    Andy Mulhearn, May 29, 2005
  9. hoarse with no name

    Paul Sture Guest

    No problem. Thanks for trying.
    My first newsreader 10 years ago (a Windows one, unfortunately now dead)
    had such a facility, but I didn't really need the filters until the
    spammers went berserk.
    It's not just the poor handling of spam which gets me. The so-called
    offline facility of Thunderbird is next to useless to me, as it only
    downloads message headers rather than the full text. Even 10 years ago
    on a dial up line, I found it cheaper to download the lot rather than
    selecting which ones I wanted the full text for and going online again.
    Yep. When I was running Mozilla on a 64 bit Alpha, it would clock up 100
    I/Os a second, though I've no idea why.

    Paul Sture, May 29, 2005
  10. I see little spam, the guys that run news.individual.net seem to have that
    under control.
    I found offline very hit and miss. POP is fine. IMAP (.Mac) unusable and news
    unpredictable.
    Still better than IE on windows though.

    I've just switched to HogWasher. It has a slightly quirky interface but can
    be tweaked.

    Andy

    Andy Mulhearn, May 29, 2005
  11. hoarse with no name

    Paul Sture Guest

    Yes, they do indeed, though unfortunately I fell victim to whatever
    virus it was (Code Red? - around that time slot anyway) which was
    harvesting email addresses from newsgroups.

    I myself use Safari with JS disabled, and keep FireFox with JS enabled
    _only_ for the sites where I need it - and then from a non-admin account.

    Paul Sture, May 29, 2005
  12. hoarse with no name

    Jef Tenner Guest

    Well you can say what you like but they work the same

    Jef Tenner, May 30, 2005