    too?

    Thanks.

    - FM -

    Fred Mau, Oct 22, 2005

  2. Fred Mau

    Tom Scales Guest

    8200 is non-ecc. Odds are the Optiplex is too, or would at least be ok with
    it.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Oct 22, 2005

  3. Fred Mau

    Jay B Guest

    i'd be curious to hear your source for the memory. i could use a few
    sticks myself.

    Jay B, Oct 23, 2005
  4. Fred Mau

    Fred Mau Guest

    It'll all be gone by monday anyway.;) A friend of mine runs a PC
    dismantling/recycling business in Cornelius Oregon. They're in it mostly
    for the value of the metals/plastics/etc but occasionally if they see
    something particularly valuable come through they'll sell it on ebay as
    jfrost1151.

    I'd say 99+ % of what they get is pure no-name junk like 286/386/486/etc,
    but occasionally a rare gem. I've got a standing order with them for any
    recent model Optiplexes and PowerEdges but they're few and far between.

    - FM -

    Fred Mau, Oct 23, 2005
  5. Fred Mau

    Ben Myers Guest

    Fred,

    You got a great price. The non-ECC should work just fine... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Oct 24, 2005
  6. Fred Mau

    hdrdtd Guest

    The 8200's and even my older XPS B1000R can use either ECC or Non-ECC or
    even both.

    If you mix ECC and Non-ECC, the system will default to treating all the
    RDRAM as Non-ECC.

    Speeds can be mixed as well.

    RDRAM came in speeds of
    800.

    If you mix speeds, the memory will run at the slowest speed installed.

    hdrdtd, Oct 24, 2005
  7. Fred Mau

    Ben Myers Guest

    Beware that the BIOS in many (most?) Dell P4 RAMBUS computers will reject slower
    speed memory. In other words, the BIOS reads out the speeds of each RIMM and if
    the speed is not enough, the system won't boot. People are 1000% better off
    using the speed of memory for which the system is designed, even if slower will
    run OK. I have never seen a Dell P4 system set up with anything slower than
    PC800, which makes sense given that the slowest P4 processors run at 400MHz FSB.

    Finally, PC1066 RAMBUS memory is/was used in P4 systems with 533MHz FSB. There
    are two speed grades of PC800: PC800-45 and PC800-40... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Oct 24, 2005
  8. Fred Mau

    Tom Scales Guest

    Just to throw a monkey wrench in your 'never', I'm sitting in front of my
    Dimension 8100 P4-1.5 right now. According to the BIOS, the two RIMMS are
    128MB 300 Mhz ECC (OK, the ECC part surprised me). This is the stock memory
    that came in the machine.

    According to Sisoft Sandra, it is 300Mhz (600Mhz Data rate), which also says
    PC600.

    Surprised me too.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Oct 24, 2005
  9. Fred Mau

    Ben Myers Guest

    Okay, now open up the computer and look at the speed ratings on the stickers on
    each RIMM. I can't say that I trust Sandra when it comes to RAMBUS. But visual
    verification of speed ratings per the stickers is pretty trustworthy.

    Interesting, 'cause I handled some surplus 8100's earlier this year, and every
    one of them came equipped with PC800 ECC. Same with the Precison 330's, which
    are very similar beasts.

    If your 8100 does accept PC600, this tells me that the Socket 423 Pentium 4's
    had a BIOS that is far more tolerant of different speed grades than the 8200,
    8250, Optiplex GX240, Precision 340... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Oct 24, 2005
  10. Fred Mau

    hdrdtd Guest

    Ooops.
    Bit of a clearafication here

    My comments about mixing speeds and ECC vs Non-ECC refer to my older XPS
    B1000r which is a P3 ghz system with RDRAM

    My slightly newer 8200 is a 2.53Ghz system that was bought when the 2.53 was
    first introduced.
    I checked and yes it came with (and still has) PC800.
    I believe the CPU FSB is 533Mhz and the memory FSB is 400Mhz.

    There was quite a stir raised back then about the newer 533Mhz FSB systems
    from other manufacturers that used the new 1066Mhz memory, but Dell did not
    (at least at that time) and refused to offer a BIOS upgrade to enable a
    1066FSB on those systems. The motherboards Dell used in those systems were
    basically an Intel OEM MB and at that time Intel was not supporting the
    1066FSB on those particular systems.

    hdrdtd, Oct 26, 2005
  11. Fred Mau

    Ben Myers Guest

    Makes sense to me. The 8200 probably has RAMBUS RIMMs marked 800-40, to allow
    the memory to operate with 533MHz FSB. 800-45 won't do it in the tests I've
    conducted. The later Dimension 8000 series models accept PC1066 memory with 184
    pins. An added confusion factor for RAMBUS is that PC1066 was also manufactured
    with a 240-pin form factor. I have no clue which computers accept the 240-pin
    RAMBUS.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Oct 26, 2005
  12. If''n I recall, for the original 2.53Ghz systems, the 45ns worked just fine.
    It was when the 3.06Ghz systems came out soon after that you had to make
    sure you used the 40ns modules.

    But then again that was several years (2002) ago, and I have problems
    remembering what I was doing 10min ago..

    Timothy Drouillard, Oct 27, 2005