    P.S.
    Please post all replies here... my e-mail is not real... sorry... just
    let me know if you want my real e-mail address... :^)

    noneone, Aug 29, 2004

  2. noneone

    rstlne Guest

    Is the Sempron 64-bit .. No
    Does it have advantages over the AXP Range .. Yes (at least I think so) ..
    If you get a 754 Sempron then you get the onboard memory controller so I
    think that's pretty good, SktA stuff is going to probably be just as good
    sticking with AXP's. Wes Hates these Semprons so expect a post from him
    later.

    rstlne, Aug 29, 2004

  3. noneone

    Wes Newell Guest

    It's not that I hate them. It's that they are rippoffs. The socket A
    models are just Tbred core Athlon XP's with a new name and higher model
    numbers than the XP's at the same perfornance level. Amd's way of upping
    prices I guess. As an example, a sempron 2800+ sells for $107 and is the
    same CPU as the XP 2400+ that sells for $53. Now you can buy an XP 2800+
    that would be rated as a 3200+ under the Sempron name for $74. The XP's
    rating system compares it to P4's clock speed. The Sempron Rating system
    compares it to Celerons (which it totally kills).

    Now the socket 754 Sempron 3100+ would be rated as a 2700+ using the
    normal A64 benchnarks and value wise it's not a bad deal since it's
    actually priced a little lower than the A64 2800+, But it's isn't a 64 bit
    cpu and there's something else it's missing compared to the real A64's but
    I don't recall at the moment.

    The problem I have is that the general public will be buying these
    thinking that the Sempron's are a lot faster than they really are because
    of the model numbering. People will assume that the model number will be
    as compared to the P4 like Athlons when in fact they are in comparison to
    Celerons. I think this is going to reflect badly on AMD once the buyer
    discovers this, if they ever do.:)

    Wes Newell, Aug 29, 2004
  4. noneone

    newsreader Guest

    I guess that why it makes so confusing to me too!!

    SO, anything below Semprons 2800+ are Athlon (kinda) 32 bits...
    anything about Semprons 3000+ do have the capabilities of the
    Athlon64, in other words, 64 bits... It this correct?

    Also, I was under the impresion that you could put a Sempron 2800+ (or
    lower) on a Asus A7N8X and one would have 64 bit capability (to run
    the windows xp 64 version or Linux 64 bit) Is this correct?

    Another-confused-one

    newsreader, Aug 31, 2004
  5. noneone

    Wes Newell Guest

    Then read it again. To answer specific question here. No Sempron has 64
    bit capabilty The socket A Sempron are nothing more than renamed Tbred's.
    The socket 754 Sempron are cut back, overrated, 32 bit versions of the A64
    core. but with only 256K cache. I suspect they are a complete new core,
    but I haven't investigated it because I'm not interested in them, and no
    one else really should be either.

    Wes Newell, Aug 31, 2004
  6. noneone

    newsreader Guest

    Darn, AMD really has good marketing, it really got me confused. I
    thought sempron was going to be an 32/64 bit intermediate solution for
    us that may not be able to afford a new 64-bit system. :^)

    My conclusion: Sempron = Caca :^)

    Thanks for the clarification...

    newsreader, Sep 1, 2004
  7. noneone