    actaully costs MORE than the equivalent mainstream line (Athlon) of the same
    power?

    I hope i have got soemthing wromg there!

    Aaron R Salp, Sep 16, 2004

  2. It looks about right. The Sempron XP2500 is just about £1 less than an
    Athlon XP2500, even though it has half of the L2 cache.

    Quite how the S754 Semprons line up against the A64s though, I'm not sure.

    JW

    John Whitworth, Sep 16, 2004

  3. Aaron R Salp

    kony Guest

    Yes, for the time being you have it right, Sempron is higher
    priced. They are expected to o'c higher than the T'Bred B,
    on average, since they're desending from Thorton, but
    Thorton cores are also cheaper, and AFAIK, all Semprons are
    locked, though I could be wrong about that?

    I expect that eventually the Semprons will drop in price,
    but for the time being anyone building on socket A ought to
    snatch up a Barton while they still can.

    kony, Sep 16, 2004
  4. AND a lower speed!

    XP2200+ is 1.8ghz, Sempron 2200+ is 1.5ghz.

    Never anonymous Bud, Sep 16, 2004
  5. Aaron R Salp

    hugh pearce Guest

    It does have a faster bus thou 166 not 133 and costs £31 compared to around
    £40 for the XP

    hugh pearce, Sep 16, 2004
  6. Aaron R Salp

    Matt Austin Guest

    Agreed. While AMD is officially selling the Semprons to suppliers for
    less than the XP line (check their pricing page at amd.com), the high
    volume of low-priced Athlon XPs means that they (AXP) are the better buy
    for right now. However, once vendors and retailers start paying the
    high prices for the Athlon XP labeled chips across the board, consumers
    will see a change. Then the Semprons will be the better choice as the
    AXP label fades into oblivion and premium prices. Also, it is probably
    in AMD's best interests to move the Athlon name solely to its mainstream
    and high-performance product lines (doing so makes AMD less vulnerable
    to Intel attacks comparing Athlons (XP) to new P4s (EE and the like)).

    Matt Austin, Sep 16, 2004
  7. Aaron R Salp

    Franklin Guest

    Are you saying that matching "performance for performance" the Semprons are
    ever so slightly cheaper?

    I have done the data gathering or data comparison but several posters here
    seem to say that the Sempron is more expensive than the equivalent Athlon.

    Maybe one new variable is the performance of the Sempron and the chip's
    clock speed. The chart on this page matches up the Sempron and Athon
    according to their clock speed.

    http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040728/sempron-01.html

    I don't kmow how reliable AMD's "+" figure is in idnicating throughput
    power, so I don't know if I can take at face value that these two cpus are
    equivalent:

    2500+ Sempron (1.75 GHz, FSB 333, T'bred-B core)
    2500+ Athlon (1.92 GHz, FSB 333, Barton core)

    [Data taken from page linked above.]

    Surely these two are not equivalent in terms of power?

    Franklin, Sep 17, 2004
  8. Aaron R Salp

    Wes Newell Guest

    They aren't. The Sempron, if rated with the same suite of benchmarks
    Athlon XP's are rated with, would rate as a 2100+. All Semprons are rated
    with a set of benchmarks to compare them to Celerons clock speeds and the
    resulting PR number reflects that. not compared P4's or even XP's. IF you
    subtract 400 from every Semprons number, you will get the approximate
    Athlon rating. So a Sempron 2200+ would [erforme the same as an Athlon
    1800+, etc. And you can take that to the bank.

    Wes Newell, Sep 17, 2004
  9. Aaron R Salp

    PWY Guest

    Good information. It would be a terrible thing to learn after buying one.

    PWY, Sep 17, 2004
  10. Good info and that explains a LOT.

    David Maynard, Sep 17, 2004
  11. Aaron R Salp

    Fishman Guest

    So that makes them even less value for money then!
    With computer hardware something new is usually better and often cheaper,
    doesn't seem to be the case here.

    Are AMD in trouble and need to hike the price up on their products?

    Fishman, Sep 17, 2004
  12. Aaron R Salp

    Franklin Guest

    Interesting. So the table which I referred to in my earlier posting

    http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040728/sempron-01.html

    has got it about right by comparing clock speeds because this does indeed
    give approximately that 400 unit difference in the "+" rating which you
    point out.

    In which case that must mean that a given Sempron costs even more than the
    corresponding Athlon of equivalent power?

    Has anyone compared actual prices?

    Franklin, Sep 17, 2004
  13. Aaron R Salp

    chrisv Guest

    Dear Lord. What a mess.

    chrisv, Sep 17, 2004
  14. Aaron R Salp

    hugh pearce Guest

    That is true of the top end semptrons but the 2200 semptron is £31 and
    cheaper than the 1600 duron and gives a better bang for your buck at the
    bottom end of the market

    hugh pearce, Sep 17, 2004
  15. Aaron R Salp

    CrackerJack Guest

    How much faster is th sempron 2200+ than a Duron 1600?

    CrackerJack, Sep 17, 2004
  16. Aaron R Salp

    hugh pearce Guest

    as said earlier its about XP1800 speed Although it may be slightly faster
    dur to its higher bus speed

    hugh pearce, Sep 17, 2004
  17. Aaron R Salp

    Aaron S Guest

    I calculate that the Sempron here in the UK is currently approx 25 percent
    more expensive than the equivalent Athlon .

    My local PC dealer is doing these prices (inc VAT) on boxed retail cpus:

    Sempron 2400+ £49 ($80)
    Sempron 2500+ £57
    Sempron 2600+ £64

    Athlon 2200+ £50
    Athlon 2400+ £59
    Athlon 2500+ £62
    Athlon 2600+ £69

    If the Sempron 2600+ at £64 is the equivalent power of the Athlon 2200+ (see
    earlier this thread) which is £50 then the Sempron is 28 percent more
    expensive.

    ----

    My local dealer is a bit expensive because Simply Computers were doing these
    Athlon prices (inc VAT) for retail boxed cpu's:

    Athlon 2200+ £48
    Athlon 2400+ £51
    Athlon 2500+ £59
    Athlon 2600+ £65

    and now that Simply have dropped almost all of those Athlons and they are
    selling these:

    Sempron 2500+ £53
    Sempron 2600+ £59

    So at Simply the Sempron 2600+ is £59 and is the equivalent power to the
    Athlon 2200+ which is £48, making the Sempron 23 percent more expensive.

    ----

    Maybe the Sempron is showing the premium paid for new processors and soon
    the price will tumble?

    But surely that new processor pricing model shouldn't be applied to their
    Sempron because they are essentially Athlons which have been in production
    for some time.

    Aaron S, Sep 17, 2004
  18. Aaron R Salp

    kony Guest

    On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 19:40:22 +0100, Aaron S

    New products entering a market are often priced a bit too
    high, then price normalizes after demand is less than
    anticipated, or lower than production. It is still a bit
    odd though, even a lowly Duron 1.6 is going for $48 on
    pricewatch, seems like it should've dropped to $38 already.

    Courseyauto, Sep 17, 2004
  20. Aaron R Salp

    JK Guest

    What if demand is greater than anticipated or greater than production?
    Why? They probably aren't being made any longer. Perhaps soon
    the supply of Athlon XP chips might start dwindling?

    JK, Sep 17, 2004