Is the WiFi on the main motherboard of modern laptops?

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Dave, Apr 10, 2009.

  1. Dave

    Dave Guest

    I've got a Sony Vaio which I sent it for repair under warranty, as the
    hinge was damaged. Electrically it worked fine.

    I've not got the laptop back yet, but Sony *claim* to have replaced both
    the motherboard and the hard drive as the machine would not boot. I
    don't believe this myself. For both the hard drive and the motherboard
    to fail between my house and the Sony repair center. A bit unlikely I
    think.

    Far more likely is an incompetent technician or someone who flogs off
    the motherboards on eBay!

    I do however have a WiFi access point at home which only allows machines
    from specific MAC addresses. If the WiFi has been changed, I assume it
    will have a different MAC address.

    Does anyone know if the MAC address would be on the main motherboard, or
    perhaps on another board which Sony have no need to replace? (Not that I
    believe they had any need to replace the motherboard or hard drive, but
    they reckon they have.)

    The particular laptop is a Sony Vaio VGN-SZ4XWN/C.

    Has anyone had any experience of Sony replacing obviously unnecessary
    parts?

    --
    I respectfully request that this message is not archived by companies as
    unscrupulous as 'Experts Exchange' . In case you are unaware,

    Dave, Apr 10, 2009

  2. Well... I think you are a bit paranoid about your wireless. All YOU
    have to do, once you get the laptop back from Sony, is to disable the
    MAC Adress filtering on the router, let the computer connect to your
    wireless, and examine the connection table in your router for all
    connections, and then copy and paste whatever MAC Address your router
    shows for the laptop. Then re-enable MAC Adress filtering.

    Why you want to do this is a mystery to me, but whatever. I do think
    that your paranoia is unwarranted!

    AnonDelMundial, Apr 11, 2009

  3. Normally on a laptop with an internal WiFi card, there is a mini-PCI or
    PCI-Express slot and a WiFi card plugged into that slot. The card is
    easily removable. The MAC address resides on that card.

    I agree with your assessment that they are off in the weeds, replacing
    items that were not defective from your description of the problem.

    Barry Watzman, Apr 11, 2009
  4. It's not that difficult, nor is your suggestion the right way to do this.

    On the [returned] laptop, open a command (DOS) window and type:

    C:\>ipconfig/all

    You will get all of the information about all of the network adapters.

    Write down the MAC address of the WiFi adapter, and then enter it into
    the Router's table of MAC address filters.

    Barry Watzman, Apr 11, 2009
  5. Dave

    Dave Guest

    I know how to get it working on the router. I was wondering if this
    would provide a way of determining if the motherboard had been replaced.

    Dave, Apr 11, 2009
  6. Dave

    Dave Guest

    I know how to do that.
    There is a dispute over the hinge. Sony say there are no known issues
    with the hinge, therefore it is either wear and tear which caused it to
    fail, or the hinge was damaged by my abuse. They don't know which, but
    since neither would be covered under the warranty, it is irrelevant.

    Any evidence I have, which proves a degree of incompetence, such as
    claiming to have replaced a motherboard but not having done so, would be
    to my benefit.

    Dave, Apr 11, 2009
  7. No, since it's normally a plug-in card. It will tell you if the WiFi
    card has been replaced, but not the motherboard.

    Barry Watzman, Apr 12, 2009
  8. Laptop hinges fail quite often. There are two failure modes:

    -Bind up and break: The hinge provides ZERO support. If both hinges
    fail this way, there is no lid support at all and lid swings freely
    through an arc of almost 180 degrees.

    -Bind up and get VERY tight. This will usually cause failure of the
    plastic lid back of the laptop, and later this will often turn into the
    "bind up and break" mode.

    This is quite common, although the incidence varies by model number. It
    is not due to abuse, it is either a design defect or a manufacturing defect.

    Sony is giving you the run-around. The only thing that might deter them
    would be extreme forcefulness on your part (that does not mean being
    rude, but it does mean being firm, including threatening and taking both
    "consumerist" actions and legal action).

    And a word of advice: NEVER again buy a Sony computer product.

    Barry Watzman, Apr 12, 2009
  9. Dave

    Dave Guest

    That did not happen.
    This is exactly what happened. The hinge never broke, but the result of
    the bind up caused further damage.
    Do you know of any written reference to this fact? I am not disputing
    you are are right, but to show this to Sony and say "Barry Watzman said
    so on comp.sys.laptops" is not exactly going to have much weight.

    Are there any articles about laptop failures in computer magazines which
    I mgiht be able to get hold of??

    Sony say there are "no issues" with this model and at 2-years old they
    would know about them.
    I know Sony is giving me the run around. I intend to be polite, but
    forceful.
    No, I will not.

    Toshiba is probably going to be my next one, as these are now available
    from Sun with Solaris pre-installed, and fully supported by Sun. A
    3-year hardware warranty for no extra charge is pretty good too.

    Dave, Apr 12, 2009
  10. Dave,

    There have been class action lawsuits over hinge failures, and both
    Compaq and Toshiba have had "instances". But I can't cite any specific
    documentation that you can point to. A google search on "Laptop hinge"
    (or "laptop hinges") turns up hundreds of hits (I say hundreds, it may
    be tens of thousands; it's "a lot").

    Barry Watzman, Apr 13, 2009
  11. Sorry I misinterpreted. I have three Sony notebooks. I have reviewed
    many forums on problems that I have had with these (mostly OS) and have
    come away with this fact: Sony support will do whatever they can to
    invalidate a warranty application.

    Two of my Sony notebooks were purchased at Sam's Club, and I opted for
    their (at that time) the low cost warranties. One of these notebooks
    was hell on wheels, and I sent it back three times to correct problems,
    and all were fixed with no questions asked by a private contractor.

    The remaining notebook I sent back to Sony under their warranty for a
    hard drive failure and they denied my claim, stating that there was
    obvious water damage on the mainboard. They sent the computer back to me.

    I bought a new 1.8 inch drive from newegg.com, reinstalled the system
    from the DVD's I'd burned, and all was well.

    This validated everything I've read about Sony warranty repair. Sony is
    a bunch of lying bastards, to put it mildly.

    AnonDelMundial, Apr 15, 2009
  12. Dave

    BillW50 Guest

    In Barry Watzman typed ON Sun, 12 Apr 2009 19:37:46 -0400:
    I remember reading an article when Asus first came out with their 700
    series netbooks. And they made a great effort to give them great hinges.
    As they believed this was very important. And they sure are nice. And I
    never heard of one failing yet. Even if you abuse them.

    BillW50, Apr 15, 2009