    that I don't know where to start looking for compatible drives. There's no
    useful information in the manual and I haven't come up with anything online.
    So, where do I go for this information?

    wfb, Aug 6, 2003

  2. You should be fine with any drive that you are considering. You will
    basically find drives in 10, 20 and 30 gigs. A good used, working 10
    gig drive (E-Bay) should be cheap ($30-$40 USD). I have not priced 20
    gig drives, but if you are buying new, a 30 gig drive should probably be
    in the $90 range and a 40 gig drive (which you are not considering) is
    going for about $110. All these are US prices in USD.

    It's unlikely that you will need drive overlay software, I'd make a
    small wager that 10 or 20 gigs would work, and probably 30 or 40 but
    with slightly increasing chances of issues.

    Barry Watzman, Aug 7, 2003

  3. wfb

    Barry OGrady Guest

    I have a 486 notebook with a 200 meg HD. I also have spare Quantum
    540 meg HD which I want to use. Both drives seem to be the same thickness
    but I can't get the 540 to plug in correctly. The connector for the HD
    is attached to the MB so that it won't line up with the 540 drive connector.

    -Barry
    ========
    Voicemail/fax number +14136227640

    Barry OGrady, Aug 8, 2003