  1. Dreamaker

    Dreamaker Guest

    It would be nice to upgrade smoothly...

    Dreamaker, Aug 17, 2004

  2. Take a look at both the K7 and the Hammer architecture, and you'll see
    why it's pretty much impossible to support both on one board. For a
    start, the processor buses alone are totally different (EV6 vs.
    HyperTransport), and then the Hammer has a built-in memory controller.

    Stephan

    Stephan Grossklass, Aug 17, 2004

  3. Dreamaker

    Ed Guest

    I think the Athlon XP's and Athlon 64's are just too different for that
    to happen, but there are boards that have two different sockets, one
    uses a 754/939 and the other I've seen uses the 478/775. AFAIK neither
    has come to market yet.

    Ed

    Ed, Aug 17, 2004
  4. Dreamaker

    Crimson Liar Guest

    Simple answer is no, despite having the same manufacturer (AMD) the two
    chips nad their support chips are soooo different as to make this a near
    impossibility.

    Crimson Liar

    Crimson Liar, Aug 17, 2004
  5. Dreamaker

    Tim Guest

    Just get an Athlon 64. It will run everything the XP will and faster.
    When the 64 bit OS you want appear, switch over to it. In the mean time
    stick with 32 bit windows.

    With Windows XP 64 bit then you can concurrently run 32 and 64 bit apps.
    This is the advantage that the Athlon 64 has over EG Itanium.

    Many 64 bit systems are being sold and the prices are very competitive - it
    is the upgrade path now.

    Windows XP 64 bit is plodding along quite well from what I see (I don't have
    it as I don't need an upgrade). Driver support is improving slowly but
    surely. The product is still in beta, but many are using it. Personally I
    would not use it for production without a thorough evaluation and research.

    - Tim

    Tim, Aug 18, 2004