    Yeah we had very warm summer last year... maybe that dried up some oil ;)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Mar 13, 2007

  2. Skybuck Flying

    Paul Guest

    There are some pictures here, of how to oil a fan.
    http://www.zdnet.com.au/insight/soa/Quiet_noisy_PC_fans_with_oil/0,139023731,120275084,00.htm

    One reason some fans dry out, is due to the temperature that the fan
    operates at. If the object they are cooling is too hot to touch,
    that can reduce the amount of time the oil will last. I've even had
    fans that started to squeak, the first day I used them.

    Paul

    Paul, Mar 14, 2007

  3. Hmm I already know how to oil a sleeve bearing fan. These fans are usually
    placed upwards/vertically, airflow horizontally.

    For horizontal fans / airflow vertical these sleeve bearing fans would fall
    out (?) so ball bearing fans are used.

    I think even these ball bearing fans could be oiled since they might not be
    completely airtight ? or maybe some are and some are not... I once oiled a
    ball bearing by simply dropping lot's of oil near the circuits etc, I also
    read once, some fans automatically suck up this oil.

    Anyway.

    What type of fan does the XFX GTX 7900 have ?

    I would expect it to be a ball bearing fan ;)

    Also there is a big case around it and such... so more details would be
    needed ;) how to screw everyhting loose and back on ofcourse :)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Mar 15, 2007
  4. Skybuck Flying

    First of One Guest

    1. Remove the heat sink/fan.
    2. Carefully clean off the residual thermal compound with some rubbing
    alcohol. Let dry.
    3. Replace the heat sink/fan with the one from your all-conquering FX5200.

    First of One, Mar 15, 2007
  5. Skybuck Flying

    Augustus Guest

    LOL!

    Augustus, Mar 15, 2007
  6. Skybuck Flying

    Paul Guest

    If it squeaks, oil it. That is the simplest solution.

    Paul

    Paul, Mar 15, 2007
  7. If it squeaks, oil it. That is the simplest solution.

    Good tip.

    I decided not to attempt to dismount anything.

    Very little screws probably gonna get damaged and not able to reassemble.

    So I simply dropped some drops of oil in the sleeve of the fan...

    Hopefully it helps and the fan will suck it up :)

    So far so good, if I hear a single squeek this month I'll let you know ;)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Mar 17, 2007
  8. Yup it's squeeking again... well that didn't last long ;)

    Probably from playing all the BF2 :)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Mar 26, 2007