Is there a way to recover from a LCD monitor that refuse to come back from its sleep (turned off)?

Discussion in 'ATI' started by Ant, Aug 13, 2007.

  1. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Hello,

    I have a RARE annoying problem with my Dell Optiplex GX280 office
    machine. This only happened twice within the last three years so far so
    it's pretty rare. I don't know if this is a video card problem, OS
    problem, driver problem, or a hardware problem.

    Basically what happens is that my Windows XP Pro. SP2 tells my 20"
    Philips Brilliance 200P4 LCD monitor to turn off/sleep after a few hours
    when idled. The two incidents I had was when I woke the monitor up, but
    I get the monitor error something like (from memory -- didn't write
    this down): "1600x1200 refresh rate at 60hz. No display detected". This
    is the default and normal monitor/display setup I use. I tried
    disconnecting, manually turning off the monitor, etc. None of them work
    or change the situation. The only way out of this, I have to reboot the
    Dell computer (hold down the power button for about five seconds).

    The monitor is connected to an ATI Radeon X300/X550 video card (no dual
    setup; pure DVI connection) with Catalyst v05.11 (won't upgrade because
    of the bloated control panel ATI/AMD has now these days, and this
    version seems fine for office work [no gaming and fancy video stuff]).

    Any tips/tricks to get out of this mess? I hate working on something and
    have to reboot without be able to see anything. I know the computer
    still works because I can see the num lock keys and hear sound working.
    :(

    Thank you in advance. :)
    --
    "You're kissing an ant hill." --Mike Nelson
    /\___/\
    ( )

    Ant, Aug 13, 2007