Is there an exhaust fan that mounts in a 5.25" external bay?

Discussion in 'Overclocking' started by Matt, Aug 17, 2003.

  1. Matt

    Matt Guest

    Matt, Aug 17, 2003

  2. Matt

    Lenny Guest

    I like the dremel idea too - install a fan at the top.

    Lenny, Aug 17, 2003

  3. Matt

    Lenny Guest

    Eh? Where is his case?

    Lenny, Aug 17, 2003
  4. Too_Much_Coffee ®, Aug 17, 2003
  5. Matt

    Gene Puhl Guest

    I have a Just Cooler TT 900. Twin 80 mm fans with a front exhaust, it sits
    in the top 5 1/2 bay. I don't know whether they are still available

    Gene Puhl, Aug 17, 2003
  6. Matt

    Matt Guest

    Many of the MaxTop cases at newegg.com have holes and fans in the top.
    Was going to buy one until my nephew made fun of it for having a hole in
    the top. I confess I was afraid I'd spill my coffee into it.
    I think I can get better, safer (spill-proof), quieter cooling by
    putting a fan in a drive bay. Three five inch bays should be plenty for me.
    Haven't bought one yet. It's between that RaidMax and the gMono:

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?description=11-180-013

    Links to reviews of the gMono are found at www.amselectronics.com. Lots
    of customer reviews of the various colors of the Raidmax can be found
    at newegg.

    Matt, Aug 17, 2003
  7. Matt

    TheDysk Guest

    TheDysk, Aug 17, 2003
  8. Matt

    Matt Guest

    Aha. That would be this one:

    http://www.thetechzone.com/reviews/cooler/justcooler/index.shtml

    Thanks. Very similar to what I was thinking.

    If I can't find the TT 900 or something similar with a centrifugal fan
    (probably even if I can), I'll take the steel housing from a dead CD
    drive, cut a hole in the top, and mount a big slow fan or two inside,
    hopefully with a speed control. Then I'll seal all the openings in the
    box with packing tape, except the fan intake(s) and where the bezel used
    to be. I guess I'll just leave the front (the exhaust) wide open unless
    I can rig up some kind of grille.

    It ought to suck out a lot of hot air, since the intake fans are to be
    low in the case and slow so as to reduce turbulence and assist the rise
    of heat. So there would be a temperature gradient from bottom to top,
    yet the air would move through fast enough so it wouldn't get too hot at
    the top.

    My design calls for putting the thing in the top drive bay and requires
    maybe a half-inch clearance above. The fan intakes would be on top. So
    it takes only one bay. That review of the TT 900 says it needs two
    bays, but I doubt it.

    I wasn't able to find anybody selling the TT 900.

    Matt

    Matt, Aug 17, 2003
  9. Matt

    Matt Guest

    Matt, Aug 17, 2003
  10. Matt

    Lenny Guest

    I have that same case, except in black. Very nice case, minus the stupid 60
    mm rear exhaust hole. I used a Dremel to cut a fan hole at the top,
    installed a blue LED fan there. Looks great, you should try it, if you're
    into the glowing case look. If you like that, then put in blue LED fans at
    the side intakes.

    Lenny, Aug 17, 2003
  11. Matt

    Lenny Guest

    Plus, the top exhaust spits out more hot air than any rear exhaust I've ever
    seen.

    Lenny, Aug 17, 2003
  12. Matt

    Arthur Hagen Guest

    The same direction as the little arrow painted or molded in the plastic on
    the side of the fan, which is usually towards the label side of the fan.
    If you look at the HD cooler picture on the second page you listed, you'll
    see the labels, indicating that it sucks.

    HTH, HAND.

    Arthur Hagen, Aug 17, 2003
  13. Matt

    Matt Guest

    You're welcome, and thanks. I sense that you are a man of vision ... :)

    Over here we can get it at

    http://www.axiontech.com/prdt.php?item=6381&PHPSESSID=25e05dab494e96431790ff07fe88ee5f

    for $21.5 shipped. I don't know whether that outfit will ship across
    the ocean.

    I guess you've recognized that the setup only works if you have some air
    intake(s) near the bottom of the case. I would leave the blinds out of
    a couple empty PCI slots if you don't have a case with fan holes near
    the bottom like the RaidMax 268W discussed in the other thread.

    Matt

    Matt, Aug 18, 2003
  14. Matt

    Keith Clark Guest

    You don't want to go that way.

    Optimal airflow means sucking air in at the bottom front of the case and
    exhausting it at the rear top of the case.

    What you're proposing would defeat the whole cooling scheme of the case's
    design and would probably result in a hotter case than not putting the fan
    in the drive bay.

    Keith Clark, Aug 18, 2003
  15. Matt

    Gene Puhl Guest

    That's pretty subjective, it's quieter than my Boxed AMD CPU & HS/fan.
    My tower is on my right, so I installed it with the fins blowing the air to
    to the right, otherwise, it'll mess up your hair :)

    Gene Puhl, Aug 19, 2003
  16. Matt

    Weaver Guest

    Thanks Matt
    First thing is to block off all the holes in the case at back so that
    hot venting air isn't sucked straight back in again, that includes the
    PCI slots openings. The back of the case area is verboten for sucking
    air in it gets a bit warmish - has to be near a wall :(

    Front of the case is best in my case where the air is cooler,
    suck it in at the bottom yes good idea thanks. Hmm drill out the
    bottom somewhere and stick a fan there, the case is on feet

    Weaver, Aug 19, 2003
  17. Matt

    Keith Clark Guest

    Some cases are designed for this. I use a Super Micro tower case (pretty big,
    and not suitable for hauling around to lan-parties, but it has clip-on
    housings at the bottom front as well as dust filter material in front, and an
    extra fan above the power supply unit, plus loads of room inside. I like it
    better than any case I've ever used. It keeps my 4 hard drives, DVD drive,
    CD-RW drive and the other stuff pretty cool without sounding like a 747. It
    has an extra fan that can be mounted directly over the CPU area, but I don't
    use that fan.

    http://www.supermicro.com/PRODUCT/Chassis/SC760.htm

    Keith

    Keith Clark, Aug 19, 2003
  18. I guess you are referring to something like the AMD guides near

    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/SellAMDProducts/0,,30_177_4458_3505^869^4348^1065,00.html

    You have accepted a certain good design as a _definition_ of optimal.
    Optima are not necessarily unique.
    Most or many of the cases I've looked at don't seem to have a "whole
    cooling scheme". I don't know everything, but as far as I can tell, the
    current state of case ventilation design is abysmal. Case designers
    seem to be generally more concerned with a snazzy front panel. Or maybe
    I have looked mainly at cheap cases that are cheap because they are
    badly designed.

    In particular, the lower front air intakes are usually obstructed, and
    there are often gaping vents above the PCI slots. And many cases have a
    front intake below rather than in front of the HD cage, so that the HDs
    don't get any air flow over them. Power supplies sometimes don't have a
    bottom intake. Please explain how such design elements are consistent
    with the optimum of which you speak.

    The TT-900 moves 80 CFM.
    http://www.axiontech.com/prdt.php?item=6381&PHPSESSID=25e05dab494e96431790ff07fe88ee5f
    I guarantee that if you remove the blinds from the bottom two or three
    unused PCI slots and put a 120mm exhaust or the JustCooler TT-900 in the
    top drive bay, the only hot spot you might have left is in your hard
    drive cage due to an obstructed front intake, and that is solved (yes,
    suboptimally) by any fan that moves air over the drives, even if it is
    just recirculated air.

    The above falls under the heading of picking up after somebody's bad or
    nonexistent case ventilation design.

    But I haven't bought a bad case yet, so I don't have to fix one, and I
    am settling on the Antec SLK3700AMB:

    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?DEPA=&submit=Go&description=slk3700

    because of its 120mm filtered intake in front of the HD cage, because of
    its 120mm rear exhaust at CPU level, and because those are the only
    openings except for the CPU vents. It conforms to your definition of
    optimal, and no drive-bay fan is needed.

    Matt

    Kurt Bischoff, Aug 19, 2003