    requirements?

    Thanks in advance for help!

    Mark

    mark.alanzo, Jul 23, 2006

  2. mark.alanzo

    mark.alanzo Guest

    Thanks for the vendor lead. I need the mini 9 pin round (not the flat
    two row) serial adapter. I'll check with usbgear.com and see if they
    can get me there.

    mark.alanzo, Jul 23, 2006
  3. How'bout this (It is really for a Mac, so got o the Keyspan web site an make
    sure that there are Windows drivers for it before you order)

    http://tinyurl.com/pjtgs

    Jack B. Pollack, Jul 23, 2006
  4. Yes, there is, But .......

    USB to serial port adapters only work with about half of the things that
    you try to use them with. The problem is that it's not a "real" serial
    port (e.g. the software using the serial port can't go out and "program"
    the 8250 registers, for example to set baud rate, parity, start/stop
    bits, word length, etc.). Not all software tries to do this, but about
    half of it does, and for that half, USB to serial adapters (which are
    readily available) won't work.

    There is another alternative, there are serial port PC Cards that are
    "real" serial ports and that have "real" registers. These work just
    about 100% of the time. But they are hard to find (VERY hard to find),
    and sometimes expsenive ($150, sometimes). And you have another
    problem, the newer laptops don't have PC Card slots, they have "Express
    Card" slots. [More of the abandonment of "legacy" ports.]

    There are VERY few laptops still available with serial ports. And now
    even PC Card slots are disappearing.

    Barry Watzman, Jul 23, 2006
  5. There is no standard serial port connector that is round. There is a
    9-pin DB-9 and a 25-pin DB-25, both 2 rows of pins (4 & 5 pins, and 12 &
    13 pins, respectively).

    Barry Watzman, Jul 23, 2006
  6. mark.alanzo

    Chris Hill Guest

    There is a serial card for the new slot, saw it the other day. I also
    bought a socket dual port card with ruggedized ports for $45 shipped
    on ebay the other day. Once I reset its software so it'd use com1 and
    com2 instead of the com 21 and 22 it wanted to used, it works quite
    well. Usb to serial has been a disappointment to me, the adapter I
    have doesn't like some of the other usb to serial things for other
    devices and wouldn't install on my laptop. It works on my desktop but
    is slow. A card is the way to go unless osmebody maks a usb device
    that is a lot better than this generic piece of junk with the Cypress
    chipset I have.

    Chris Hill, Jul 23, 2006
  7. mark.alanzo

    M.I.5¾ Guest

    You are using the wrong adapters. The better ones provide some clever
    software emulation of the port registers (my unbranded made in China job is
    superb). I have often been surprised that I have not (so far) found
    anything that doesn't work. Even DOS applications that obviously expect to
    find a port chip at a specific I/O address (amazingly) work. However,
    PsiWin works but isn't overly happy.

    The OP is unfortunately is after a mini 9-pin connector, and although
    adaptors are not (to my knowledge) available, It is possible to source leads
    with standard D-type 9-pin connectors on one end and mini-D 9-pin connectors
    on the other. Since they are at present, hand made (due to low demand),
    they are extremely expensive.
    Strange. They are very common here in the UK. First catalogue I grab,
    practically falls open at the right page. The cheapest one is £47.53 (which
    is actually quite expensive as these cards go).

    M.I.5¾, Jul 24, 2006
  8. mark.alanzo

    Ronnie Guest

    Have you ever seen the reverse - a serial cable which would plug into
    a PC serial port and convert to usb 1.1 'socket' so that, for example,
    a GSM phone with a USB cable could be driven from a standard PC serial
    port?

    ______________
    best wishes,
    Ron

    Ronnie, Jul 24, 2006
  9. mark.alanzo

    Chris Hill Guest

    Not possible. There is a lot more to usb than a serial port can
    provide.

    Chris Hill, Jul 24, 2006
  10. mark.alanzo

    M.I.5¾ Guest

    No - and such a device wouln't exist as the RS232 port is nowhere near fast
    enough to support the speeds demanded of a USB1 port.

    M.I.5¾, Jul 24, 2006