    devices (which I upgraded to iOS5.0), but I want to have it on my Mac too.

    I don't want to upgrade my Mac to Lion, because if I do it, Apple forces me
    to upgrade my BootCamp partition to Windows 7 from today's XP.

    Juan I. Cahis, Oct 16, 2011

  2. <.
    com>,
    If you already have a Boot Camp partition with Windows XP, it'll continue to
    work after you upgrade to Lion. According to the tech specs, Lion "supports
    existing Boot Camp installations with Windows XP Service Pack 2, Windows Vista,
    or Windows 7. New Boot Camp installations require Windows 7 (sold separately)."

    <http://www.apple.com/macosx/specs.html>

    Wayne C. Morris, Oct 16, 2011

  3. Juan I. Cahis

    Tim McNamara Guest

    <
    iganews.com>,
    Back in August there was speculation that iCloud will be brought to
    10.6.9.

    http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/08/29/evidence_suggests_apple_wil
    l_bring_icloud_to_snow_leopard.html

    Of course, whether there actually ever *is* a 10.6.9 is anyone's guess.
    There are a few workarounds for some features of iCloud.

    http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9220870/All_about_iCloud_Common_si
    gnup_scenarios

    Tim McNamara, Oct 16, 2011
  4. Juan I. Cahis

    Guest Guest

    At least one of the rumor sites posted an image from a developer
    preview of 10.6.9 (we're currently at 10.6.8 in Snow Leopard),
    which displayed a message indicating likely support for iCloud
    in 10.6.9.

    I hope that'll be the case. I have one machine which cannot
    go to 10.7 (an first-gen intel core duo iMac), and another
    which I cannot move to 10.7 until I deal with a massive port
    of data from an app which requires Rosetta). Were it not for
    this latter, I'd have moved the MBP to 10.7 already.

    I did, however, update my iPhone to iOS5 and it seems to be
    behaving just fine with my non-iCloud-updated MobileMe data.
    That was a relief. I hadn't read anywhere about iOS5 explicitly
    being backwards-compatible with MobileMe, and until I can
    move my MacOS machines to an iCloud-compatible OS (hopefully
    10.6.9), I was afraid of losing my sync capabilities.
    Really? That's weird. Have you considered using Parallels or
    VMWare instead? That way you don't need to reboot to use Windows,
    and they are both compatible with XP.

    Guest, Oct 16, 2011
  5. Juan I. Cahis

    Wes Groleau Guest

    And so is VirtualBox, which costs much less.

    Wes Groleau, Oct 16, 2011
  6. Juan I. Cahis

    JF Mezei Guest

    I there are sufficient number of people who ask for it, and if those
    people say "I am holding off buying an iphone 4S until iCloud works for
    Snow Leopard", then perhaps Apple will consider releasing iCloud for
    Snow Leopard.

    After all, isn't iCloud for OS-X just some software in Itunes, or is
    there actual stuff in the operating system per say ?

    JF Mezei, Oct 16, 2011
  7. Dear Wayne & friends:

    That are good news, thanks a lot!!!

    Juan I. Cahis, Oct 16, 2011
  8. Juan I. Cahis

    Tom Stiller Guest

    <
    iganews.com>,
    Are you sure? I upgrades (currently 10.7.2) and my old XP BootCamp
    seems to work just fine.

    Admittedly, I usually use the volume with VMware Fusion, but I just
    rebooted into the BootCcamp partition and all seemed well.

    Tom Stiller, Oct 16, 2011
  9. Juan I. Cahis

    JF Mezei Guest

    Say your hard drive were to fail, would you be able to recreate this
    type of partition from a backup under Lion, or would it insist you
    create the new type of partition ?

    JF Mezei, Oct 16, 2011
  10. I noticed that as well, but parts of that spec didn't leave me very
    comfortable. In particular, what happens in the case of things like hard
    disk failure or other problems that might force me to rebuild the
    Windows partition? The spec sheet doesn't go into that kind of detail,
    but I think I can deduce from what it does say. That's going to look
    like a new installation, which probably means the XP isn't going to
    work. If I'm right on that, then you would be skating on pretty thin
    ice. It would be a lot like having no backups, because the backups of
    your XP system could not be restored. As soon as the XP system is
    trashed for any reason, you would need to rebuild as Windows 7 (and buy
    a copy of Windows 7 to do so legally).

    If someone knows that I'm wrong, I would love to find out. But by
    knowing that I'm wrong, I do *NOT* mean someone who thinks they have a
    better guess than mine. I mean actually knowing.

    There are several other things I don't like about Lion, but the
    non-support of XP on BootCamp is definitely on the list, and pretty near
    the top of it. I actually bought Lion and can legally upgrade all of my
    systems. But all I've done it put it on a second partition on my laptop
    to experiment with. For now, I've stopped even experimenting with that
    partition and I'm thinking I'm likely to just skip Lion (in spite of
    having bought it).

    Richard Maine, Oct 16, 2011
  11. See the other prt of the subthread, where Apple's spec mentions that
    existing XP installations are ok (and my question about what happens
    when you have to rebuild that existing installation after a problem).

    Richard Maine, Oct 16, 2011
  12. But none of those virtual options work for beans with most games, which
    is almost the only thing I use XP for any more. Yes, there are some
    games that can work on them. But it is hit or miss, with a *LOT* more
    misses than hits. And even the hits tend to be pretty weak, with the
    games sort of working, but usually having quirks.

    Richard Maine, Oct 16, 2011
  13. Juan I. Cahis

    Guest Guest

    You're right. Never would have occurred to me as I don't play
    any such games, nor do I know anyone who does. I use windows
    only for some business-specific apps for which I have no
    choice.

    Guest, Oct 16, 2011
  14. Juan I. Cahis

    Guest Guest

    That wouldn't make sense. I'd been concerned that iOS5 would
    not play nicely with MobileMe stuff - since I'm not on Lion,
    iCloud isn't an option for me yet - but iOS5 (and thus the
    iPhone4S) plays just fine with MobileMe. No reason for a
    Snow Leopard user to hold off on an iPhone5S just because
    of iCloud.

    Guest, Oct 16, 2011
  15. Juan I. Cahis

    Tom Stiller Guest

    I dunno. My hard drive did fail (under Snow Leopard) and I had to
    recreate the BootCamp Partition.

    I don't run any PC games so ifI couldn't rebuild the partition I would
    just stick with VMware Fusion.

    Give how often and for what purpose I use XP, I'm not springing for 7.

    Tom Stiller, Oct 16, 2011
  16. Dear friends:

    But Apple has announce that MobileMe will stop to work in June 2012,
    am I wrong?

    Thanks
    Juan I. Cahis
    Santiago de Chile (South America)

    Juan I. Cahis, Oct 17, 2011
  17. I'm fairly sure that Snow Leopard still advertised full support of XP
    under BootCamp, including for new installations. Lion doesn't. That's a
    critical difference here.

    Richard Maine, Oct 17, 2011
  18. Juan I. Cahis

    Guest Guest

    Yes, but that's quite a while from now. By then, either
    I'll have iCloud working with my 10.6 machine(s) or have
    migrated to Lion on at least one or two of them.

    I can't say I'm thrilled with Apple's handling of the
    evolution of iTools->.mac->MobileMe->iCloud. They just
    can't seem to get it right and it's hard to hope that
    *this* time they'll do it. Nevertheless, it's what we've
    got. If iCloud means that I can sync my phones and
    calendars and contacts for free, versus how much I
    paid for MobileMe mainly for those same things, it'll be
    a win. The only thing I'll miss is the easy online
    photo galleries and I'm rather skeptical of photostream,
    but there are pretty good, easy alternatives, so it
    won't be too big a deal.

    Guest, Oct 17, 2011
  19. Juan I. Cahis

    JF Mezei Guest

    The partitioning scheme could not have changed with the update of OS-X.
    EFI expects a certain partitioning method and this is in firmware.

    So, if you have a disk image of your windows XP partition, you should be
    able to restore it.

    But Starting from fresh, Apple would not supply XP compatible drivers
    for instance.

    From what I read, it appears that Intel Macs have an EFI-based BIOS
    emulator already in the firmware.

    So when booting, there would be a parameter that would point to the BIOS
    code and to the right disk partition containing windows.

    I *assume* that for Window 7, Apple dropped the use of BIOS because
    Windows 7 is EFI compatible. So the Lion software on the Mac side
    would probably not setup the boot parameters properly. (I believe those
    are stored in NVRAM).

    So you'd have to do some research on how Apple hadles the early booting
    of Windows XP on Snow Leopard, and then try to recreate that environment
    manually on Lion (via NVRAM parameters).

    Appel's EFI is highly customized. But he is how it works on a standard EFI:

    EFI gets control. It is told what disk to boot from. It fetches an EFI
    partition on that disk. (GPT). That partition contains EFI code that
    knows how to fetch the boot loader of the operating system. (aka: access
    the OS system drive, understand its file system to fetch the boot loader
    file, or know to look at a specific block to find the block number
    containing the boot loader. Once the boot loaded is in memory, it
    branches to it, and the boot loader then makes EFI calls to learn of the
    system configuration, and uses EFI to access the console.

    Ot appears that Apple does have the EFI partition, but it is empty and
    hidden on Intel Macs. So it must have found another way to boot Windows.

    JF Mezei, Oct 17, 2011
  20. And you'd have to worry about getting appropriate drivers for XP (which
    could be a particular issue for new machines, but probably not as much
    so for an older machine upgraded to Lion).

    This falls under the general category of theorizing. Yup, might be
    possible with enough work. Maybe. But before I did anything like convert
    one of my machines to Lion, I'd want to *KNOW* exactly how to do it -
    not just have a theory that says it might be possible with sufficient
    research.

    If anyone *KNOWS* how to recreate an XP Bootcamp on a Lion machine whose
    disk got completely trashed, I'd sure like to hear. Assume the worst -
    hard disk died. That would remove one of the obstacles to me moving to
    Leopard. Not the only obstacle, but one of them.

    Richard Maine, Oct 17, 2011