    Does it exist now (or if not, does it make sense that someone will
    design) a CPU board with more than one VME bus? Thank you.

    Mark Galeck

    Mark_Galeck, Mar 3, 2008

  2. Mark_Galeck

    Tim Wescott Guest

    There may be such a thing, but it would certainly be oddball.

    I don't believe that there is a VME specification for multiple busses in
    one box (someone will correct me soon enough if I'm wrong). Strictly
    speaking, if there isn't such a critter specified then what you are
    asking for isn't possible.

    Tell us what you're trying to do, and perhaps someone will have sensible
    suggestions about how it could be achieved.

    --

    Tim Wescott
    Wescott Design Services

    Tim Wescott, Mar 3, 2008

  3. Mark_Galeck

    Joerg Guest

    There are, or at least were. That is what the "Bus-Instance" number
    specifies (zero would be a single-bus system):

    http://h30097.www3.hp.com/docs/base_doc/DOCUMENTATION/HTML/AA-Q0R7F-TE_html/CHPTR004.HTM

    Joerg, Mar 3, 2008
  4. Mark_Galeck

    dbd Guest

    Mark

    Has it been done? I don't know of any.
    Could it be done? I expect so.
    (Would it be standards compliant? I don't know.)
    Does it make sense? Not as a single PCB with VME pinout connectors
    that plug into a COTS motherboard(s). But a module? Maybe.

    In the 90s I worked on a dual VME bus box that had several octal DSP
    boards with a hypercube serial port interconnect spanning the two VME
    sections. The application was a frequency domain beamformer. One VME
    bus had the bandwidth for input or output but not both, so two VMEs.
    OC-3 links brought data into and out of the box. The CPUs just set up
    the DSPs and IO cards, so CPU wasn't the scarce resource, but there
    were no COTS dual VME CPU PCBs or modules at the time.

    Dale B. Dalrymple
    http://dbdimages.com

    dbd, Mar 3, 2008
  5. One do get things like VME-VME bridges. This probably can be designed
    as a CPU board with two VME busses.

    Regards
    Anton Erasmus

    Anton Erasmus, Mar 3, 2008