Is there problems out there with the KV7-V motherboard??

Discussion in 'Abit' started by rogval, Apr 2, 2005.

  1. rogval

    rogval Guest

    Is anybody aware of possible problems or defects with the abit kv7-v
    motherboard? I just upgraded to that with a sempron 3000. I have
    been on other forums for about two weeks now...trying to figure out
    why I can't get XP Home SP 2 installed without crashing the system.
    I am somewhat computer saavy (or however you spell that word!! LOL)
    and i've checked all the possible standard issues, like drivers and
    just simply not being compatible with certain hardware!! I've even
    upgraded to a 450 watt psu, after learning that a sempron 3000 needs
    more than the 300 watt that I have.

    The only stuff I have in there is a couple of optical drives, a floppy
    drive, the hard drive (ofcourse) and the video card (which is an
    nVidia GeForce2 MX/MX 400 64mb) and all that stuff worked fine on SP2
    before I upgraded to the new mobo and cpu. I've also checked to make
    sure that all my stuff is compatible with the new bord and it is
    (supposedly)!!

    So needless to say...I've just about come to witts end here!! It's
    quickly coming to the fact that there is something wrong with the
    motherboard!! However...that's another problem!! Tiger Direct says
    that even though i'm within there 30 return policy...I need an rma
    number from abit, and abit is saying that it is simply Tiger Directs
    problem and they won't give me an rma number!! So i'm going to go to
    the attorney general here if I can for shure determine that it is the
    mobo that is giving me the problem.

    To make a long story short....I was just curious if anyone here has
    heard of such problem??

    Thank You
    Roger

    rogval, Apr 2, 2005

  2. rogval

    - HAL9000 Guest

    Why is that? What have you tried?

    Forrest

    Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/

    < snip >

    - HAL9000, Apr 2, 2005

  3. rogval

    Marcus Guest

    Hi Roger,

    Had similar issues on the first KV7-V I recently built, but solved it with
    purchase of new DDR400 ram, it seemed that my previous sticks wouldn't cope
    with the 400fsb.

    Re:

    Marcus

    Marcus, Apr 2, 2005
  4. rogval

    rogval Guest

    It would take me days to explain all of the problems I've had!! But
    the latest one.....

    I've tried MULTIPLE times to do a new clean install off of my XP cd
    and after it formats, it starts copying the files, and when it gets
    about half way through...it gives me a BSOD, with stop error
    0x0000001A And up at the top it says MEMORY_MANAGEMENT. Noone seems
    interested in telling me the specifics of this error...other than it
    could be bad hardware here or bad hardware there or bad this or bad
    that etc, etc. Being that I can't afford to run out and by a new
    video card (woops that didn't fix it), or new ram (well that didn't
    fix it either) or new processor (oh well that was just another 100
    dollars gone) I need to pinpoint the problem!!

    I've been all over the internet trying to find info on this error, and
    the only stuff I found is related to Windows 2000 or Windows Server
    2003. Besides that...the information that windows provides is soooo
    vague it's a joke!!

    Is there anyone out there firmiliar with my problem??

    Roger

    rogval, Apr 4, 2005
  5. rogval

    Marcus Guest

    Hi Roger,

    What BIOS is installed? and with regards to the Sempron is it 333 bus or 400
    bus?

    I have now also encountered same issue on another P3 machine, as soon as I
    swapped out the RAM with alternative CL2 level rather than CL3 I was able to
    install.

    There is on the net, sorry don't know exactly where, a "memtest86" program
    which creates a boot floppy and run tests on the RAM installed, this in my
    opinion would be a good start point.

    Re:

    Marcus

    System1: ABit KV7-V BIOS 14, XP3000+ Barton Core
    System2: ABit KV7-V BIOS 14, Sempron 2800+

    Marcus, Apr 4, 2005
  6. rogval

    - HAL9000 Guest

    Roger, looks like Marcus has the answer. Memory is a common problem
    now that memory speeds are as high as they are.

    See below.

    Forrest

    Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/

    < snip >

    I would guess that 0x0000001A is the interrupt number for the memory
    controller. The memory controller is having some sort of problem.
    The specifics can only be discovered by trying to figure out what the
    memory controller was doing when it threw this interrupt. Needless to
    say, the memory controller is always doing something.

    Baring a friend with other DDR memory, you might take your machine
    somewhere that sells high quality memory and then try it
    before/while/condition to buying.

    - HAL9000, Apr 4, 2005
  7. rogval

    rogval Guest

    Well, I got me a new module of DDR 400...and replaced the cpu, and
    guess what....Now I get this error on a bsod....

    a driver corrupted pool memory used for holding pages destined for
    disk

    STOP: 0x000000DE (0x00000002, parameter, parameter, parameter)

    I looked on the microsoft knowledge base and it says something about
    that happening when something tries to right to memory outside of
    "its" allocated paremeter of memory. The resolution it gives is
    involved with editing the registry, which will make windows examine
    all the pool drivers in order to tell you what is corrupt.

    But guess what....I can't do that, because it won't even let me
    install windows. I get this BSOD after you boot to the windows cd and
    it loads all the setup files, and then after that it pauses before it
    goes into setup and I get a black screen and then the bsod.

    I also called microsoft to see if they could maybe pull something out
    of there butt?? Haha....But he did tell me that according to his
    supervisor that it is something related to a bad kernel??? Does that
    make sense?? and that this kernel is stored somewhere in some piece
    of hardware, and it is there to help something interact from the
    cdrom drive between all the hardware and eventually to the hard
    drive?????? If this makes no sense, then disregard....I didn't really
    understand him that well!!!

    any ideas??

    Thanks
    Roger

    P.S. I have nothing unnecessary in the tower. I took out the fax
    modem, and the sound card, and I was using the onboard lan for
    internet, so that was all the extra I had in there!!

    rogval, Apr 6, 2005
  8. rogval

    - HAL9000 Guest

    Gosh, one would hope things would go more smoothly...

    What did microsoft recommend that you do to fix the (bad kernel)
    problem?

    If your having troubles with IDE cd drive/hard disk then you might
    want to go back and check the drive jumper (on the back) settings
    (master/slave), that the IDE cables are connected right if keyed
    (blue/black/gray connectors), and that the cables are good (swap with
    another if new or replace if old). Are you using 80 wire or 40 wire
    IDE cable(s)? The newer 80 wire have very small wires and are easy to
    break.

    You might want to list all the components and jumper settings you are
    using related to cd/hard drive and cables.

    Forrest

    Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/

    On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 14:41:49 +0000,

    - HAL9000, Apr 6, 2005
  9. rogval

    rogval Guest

    Strangely enough...my Maxtor diagnostic disk won't boot, but my
    MEMTEST 86+ will. I know the maxtor disc works because I used it
    just a couple of days ago!! So now i'm currently testing this new
    stick of DDR 400 256mb. On the first pass, which is actually pass 0,
    I got over 70,000 errors, and it is brand new!!!! So i'm thinking
    that i'm just the unlucky sob that got a brand new stick of defective
    ram?????? Or is that even possible??

    Roger

    rogval, Apr 8, 2005
  10. rogval

    - HAL9000 Guest

    Working with memtest, and getting rid memory as a problem source, is a
    good trouble shooting procedure.

    You might try dropping the FSB frequency a few Hertz and retrying
    memtest. If it was 200 MHz try 190 MHz, or something like that. The
    memory frequency will decrease proportionally with the FSB frequency
    (or rate). If this makes the system stable then that shows that
    memory is the problem.

    New memory is not normally defective but their are lots of examples of
    memory being sold that don't meet their specs.

    Forrest

    Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/

    On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 01:04:03 +0000,

    - HAL9000, Apr 8, 2005
  11. rogval

    Marcus Guest

    Hi Again Roger,

    Experiencing the exact same issues on another 2 pc builds, one KV7, and
    other KV7-V, Sempron 2800, 2 x 512mb DDR400, 1 x CDRom (52x), 1 x 160gb
    Maxtor HDisk.

    So Far ;

    1. have flashed the bios's up to latest release
    2. swapped memory from known working system (has XP3000+ Barton)
    3. switched off/on onboard sound
    4. swapped cpu out for XP3000 (this worked!)
    5. loaded Sempron 2800 into an ASRock board with the memory (this worked!)

    will be attempting after work today, fixing the processor FSB to 333mhz
    (166mhz x2) as per the ASRock set up.

    Re:

    Marcus

    Marcus, Apr 14, 2005
  12. rogval

    GlassVial Guest

    Strangely enough...my Maxtor diagnostic disk won't boot, but my
    70,000 errors? Sounds like either bad ram, or the ram doesn't like
    that board to me. I have had situations where memtest threw tons of
    errors with a memory stick on one board (Asus, bleah) and not a single
    peep on another board (Abit :) So if you can memtest it in another
    board and it's fine, it's a compatibility problem, if you memtest it
    in another machine and memtest still pukes, it's bad ram. And yes, it
    is possible for brand new ram to be bad, hell it's possible for any
    brand new thing to be bad out of the box, nobody's perfect!

    -GV

    GlassVial, Apr 14, 2005
  13. rogval

    Andrew Krieg Guest

    Sorry to intrude on this thread...

    Could you check if the RAID software on the KV7-V supports RAID
    0 on the regular ATA (IDE) bus? I know it supports in on the SATA bus,
    but I need to replace an old board and want to reuse the RAID setup I
    already have.

    Andrew Krieg, Apr 14, 2005
  14. rogval

    Marcus Guest

    Raid is only available on the SATA for the KV7 and KV7-V's

    Marcus, Apr 14, 2005
  15. rogval

    rogval Guest

    Well...after literally replacing EVERYTHING....I came to the
    conclusion to turn it over to Tiger Direct!! I ran it over there
    just a couple of hours ago, and they said they would call within the
    next couple of days!! So if anyone is interested...keep an eye out
    on my thread here, and i'll let you know what comes of the
    situation!!

    Roger

    rogval, Apr 17, 2005
  16. rogval

    rogval Guest

    Well...after getting the computer back, and everything was supposed to
    be good to go, and I got home and it was the same story...so I took
    the comp back 2 more times, and the they finally came to the
    conclusion, that...

    Even though the specs say this mobo is Sempron compatible...apparently
    it is a bunch of bull malarchy, atleast with the 3000!!!!

    So I called Tiger Direct again today and told the manager and the tech
    that helped me yesterday, that I was still having problems!! The tech
    said that was the end of the road and that this board obviously does
    not like that cpu, and the only thing I could do is to exchange it
    for an athlon xp!! So I got an XP 3000 for 139 dollars, exchanged
    with money on top ofcourse...came home, put it in....been running now
    for about 3 hrs with absolutely NO problems, and it is running like a
    striped ass ape on top of that!!!!!!!

    Bottom line....This board does not like the Sempron!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Roger

    rogval, Apr 21, 2005
  17. rogval

    GlassVial Guest

    Bottom line....This board does not like the Sempron!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Odd, but I got the XP 2900+ combo with this board. First one I had
    was DOA, second one has been running just fine.

    -GV

    GlassVial, Apr 21, 2005
  18. rogval

    Wes Newell Guest

    Don't know what the problem was, but Semprons are nothing more than Athlon
    XP's with a new name. And if the bios is pre Sempron era, it will report
    the cpu as an Ahlon XP.. See Sempron in link below.

    Wes Newell, Apr 21, 2005
  19. rogval

    Marcus Guest

    Well gents it has been a full 6 days running Seti and playing games as of
    yet no problems.

    The Sempron 2800+ was labeld on the retail box as 200mhz FSB but wouldn't
    run stable at that, so dropped to 166mhz and am getting the 2ghz with
    seemless stability so far.

    Marcus, Apr 21, 2005
  20. rogval

    Wes Newell Guest

    It has a 12 multiplier, so raising the FSB to 200 would be trying to run
    the cpu at 2400MHz. It may run OK at that speed, but it's going to take
    somewhere between 1.75v and 1.85v to get it stable at that speed.

    Wes Newell, Apr 22, 2005