    And my second question is are they compatible with the asus a7n8x-x
    nf2.

    thank you

    DreamMaker, Dec 18, 2003

  2. DreamMaker

    Dan Guest

    Duh I don't understand?

    Dan, Dec 18, 2003

  3. DreamMaker

    h2so4 Guest

    The call's gone out for "someone with a bit of intelligence." We'll get back
    to you just as soon as we've found a suitably qualfied volunteer.

    h2so4, Dec 18, 2003
  4. DreamMaker

    Harry Guest

    eide refers to "egg" ide - not "extended"

    "egg" ide is a new format from Japan that utilises recycled chicken
    feed as the base for disk platters. Because of its consistency the
    "egg" platter is more smooth and resistant to head "touchdown" that
    can cause hard disk crashes.

    Of course you need a new adapter - nicknamed a "griddle" plug. It has
    a high heat dissipation, so extra cooling is need on your hard disks.
    Of course if you dont have additional cooling then the risk of frying
    your "egg" platter is very real and present.

    HTH

    :eek:)

    Harry, Dec 18, 2003
  6. DreamMaker

    Harry Guest

    Is their an echo in here?

    Harry, Dec 18, 2003
  7. DreamMaker

    JBS Guest

    That's what you get for sounding off like an asshole. I'll bet most of the
    people who frequent this group can tell you the difference. If you would do
    a little simple research you would know too. Try www.pctechguide.com to
    start.

    JBS, Dec 18, 2003
  8. DreamMaker

    stanmc Guest

    Your use of the word intelligence is, I think, a faux pas. Possibly you
    meant the word knowledge. EIDE drives work very well with the nForce2
    chipset. There were or are some limitations of size with certain
    operating systems. Windows XP should give you no size problems. On
    Windows 98SE make sure you have the latest updates.

    Be sure to read the manual regarding BIOS settings.

    stanmc, Dec 18, 2003
  9. DreamMaker

    DreamMaker Guest

    that place is know by people who fall on it by mistake.
    but hey, i will try

    Ho sorry if i touch your sence of humour it's been a long time that
    i'm asking for answer but good maner dont always give result like this
    time. I'm acting like so, cause i'm a bit desapoint in the maner thing
    goes, plus i would say that is not everyone who knows the internet
    like you do. People do have occupation, that means, when i'm not on
    the comp i'm outside working or planning stuff.

    DreamMaker, Dec 18, 2003
  10. DreamMaker

    DreamMaker Guest

    Na that's not it.

    the head of the disk runs in paralle with the surface of the disk (
    the platter if you like) and that mean it does'nt leave the platter to
    get back on it. So your theory that chineses people that are building
    a new kind of disk with egg stuff. That is so funny.

    I would say that eide drive are there to give a chipper way to people
    who does'nt want to spend money on s-ata drive or even scsi.
    These drive (eide) are know for there capacty for sustanning data
    transfer at 50% of performance of a scsi. Plus i would say eide drive
    are made with a higher density per platter, that mean at a 7200 rpm it
    will transfer more data than a ordinary disk running at 7200rpm
    ata-133.
    Plus, to chose the right disk you have to know what the maximum
    density per platter you have, that way you get more for less.
    Have read on the western digital site that a platter of 60gigs is the
    maximum density per platter if i remmerber, so people buying 80 gigs
    are getting less cause ther disk are build with two 40gigs platter.
    less density less data transfer.

    Now why i'm i asking for help, that because a got a need for speed ;-)
    with a low 26megs/s with a wd ata-100

    And now?

    DreamMaker, Dec 18, 2003
  11. DreamMaker

    Dan Guest

    Apology excepted, now you are dismissed.

    Dan, Dec 19, 2003
  12. You must have sparked an intrest - check the new thread 'Sata or Eide"
    -do mind the vultures, bilingual Earthling :]

    Creeping Stone, Dec 19, 2003
  13. DreamMaker

    JBS Guest

    Sorry for my earlier reply. I didn't even consider that you might not be a
    native English speaker. With my background I should know better. Hope that
    the link helped explain things.

    To answer your question. IDE simply means Integrated Drive Electronics (the
    controller is built into the drive). The original IDE (ATA-1) goes back to
    1986 and only supported drives up to 528MB in size. EIDE (ATA-2) was
    introduced in 1995 and supported larger drives and transfer rates up to 16.6
    MB/s. Drives are commonally referred to as ATA (AT attachment) or UltraATA
    these days. You should be able to use most of the newer UltraATA drives
    with the A7N8X-X motherboard. I use an Asus P4S8X-X motherboard in my
    computer and I really like it.

    JBS, Dec 19, 2003