    I replaced the plug and noticed slight melting at the plastic around the socket. And there is melting on the plastic at the tip of the old plug.

    But with the new plug, the light only blinks and no amount of twisting it will get it to work properly

    Does anyone think this is a power jack replacement repair or is the problemmore likely on the mobo or in the internal power supply?

    myfathersson, May 5, 2013

  2. myfathersson

    Ken Guest

    The heat is being caused by current going through a resistance. If it
    is taking place at the plug/jack area, it means that is where the
    resistance is. There should be little resistance there, so it most
    often means a poor connection. I would check the solder connections of
    the power jack on the MB if it were my computer.

    Ken, May 5, 2013

  3. myfathersson

    myfathersson Guest

    Thanks Ken, very sound and, - I should have known, - obvious advice. The power jack problem is well known and cheap to buy and comparatively easy to replace. (I have done one before)

    I just wondered about this flashing light business but I assume the melting led to a short somewhere

    Thanks again

    myfathersson, May 5, 2013
  4. myfathersson

    Ken Guest

    The flashing LED could be caused by anything. I have seen it caused by
    a power adapter that was outputting less than the expected voltage. If
    there was a voltage drop due to a high resistance, this could very well
    be the cause for the flashing LED.

    Ken, May 5, 2013
  5. myfathersson

    Happy Oyster Guest

    No. The contrary is: the heat destroys the contact, so that no current
    flows.

    Happy Oyster, May 25, 2013