Is this a good system? Can I use it instead of a Dimension?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by jim_tehma (e-mail isn't checked), Mar 23, 2005.

  1. PowerEdge SC420
    Pentium4 520, 2.8GHz, 1MB Cache, 800MHz FSB
    256MB DDR2, 400MHz,1X256, Single Ranked DIMMs
    40GB, Serial ATA, 1 inch, 7.2K RPM, Hard Drive
    Onboard NIC
    48X, Compact Disk Drive
    Standard Windows Keyboard,Gray
    Logitech PS/2 2-button Mouse with Scroll
    $298 with free shipping

    for $10 more you can upgrade the 256MB 400MHz memory to 256MB 533MHz
    memory, it's 1 DIMM
    and for $10 more you can upgrade the HD from 40GB to 80GB SATA 7.2KRPM
    http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?cs=04&kc=03347&oc=S20302s

    I was looking for a Dimension system (maybe 4700) when I saw this.
    Any idea what sound and video do you get? Can I assume onboard stuff?
    They want $69 more for a Conexant modem but I prefer to add a USR from
    Newegg afterwards.

    Thanks, Jim

    jim_tehma (e-mail isn't checked), Mar 23, 2005

  2. jim_tehma (e-mail isn't checked)

    Yeff Guest

    From your link:

    The PowerEdge SC420 is ideal for your first server & network.
    Note: For server use only; CANNOT BE USED AS A DESKTOP.

    Sounds to me like it's *not* going to stand in for a 4700.

    Yeff, Mar 23, 2005

  3. jim_tehma (e-mail isn't checked)

    S.Lewis Guest

    Jim,

    The PE 400SC and (to a lesser extent) 420SC have been sort of coveted as a
    "bare bones" system to be upgraded into desktop gaming systems.

    Cons:

    1) no monitor
    2) needs RAM
    3) needs CDRW (at a minimum)
    4) no operating system
    5) needs PCIe graphics card

    Pros:

    1) In theory, once all the goodies are added, you'll have a system that is
    likely more gaming capable than a 4700.

    Check out the 4700 deal here with a 17" LCD. Needs another stick of RAM, a
    floppy (if you desire), and your USR modem:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311030

    Has your OS and everything but the RAM, video card, floppy and modem.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Mar 23, 2005
  4. jim_tehma (e-mail isn't checked)

    Hank Arnold Guest

    I really don't see anything that would prevent it from being used as a
    desktop. I suspect it will be unsupported, though. It looks more like a
    replacement, though, for the 2400/3000 due to lack of support for a video
    card.....

    Hank Arnold, Mar 23, 2005
  5. jim_tehma (e-mail isn't checked)

    Ed Wurster Guest

    I've been using an SC400 with similar specs as a desktop computer. In this
    case there is no O/S, and that is why "for server use only." I would have
    purchased something else if I did not have a valid O/S to install.

    Ed

    Ed Wurster, Mar 23, 2005
  6. 1) no monitor

    I don't think I shall need one but in any case I could add an E773S (17
    inch) for $135.
    Probably that's good. Dell wants $120 for another 256MB stick.
    I looked at crucial and while I couldn't find the 420, a 256MB stick of
    533MHZ DDR2 was $60.
    http://www.crucial.com/store/listmodule.asp?module=DDR2+PC2-4200
    I should be able to find a cheap writer at newegg
    I'm thinking w2k from ebay.
    [linux anyone on a poweredge?]
    any idea what it would cost? ~50 bucks?
    For WWW, WP, DVDs, light stuff, no gaming.

    The other thing I was thinking was the sound.
    Does the poweredge have anything at all?
    I looked but didn't saw anything.
    I'm thinking a soundblaster live?
    RAM, a
    floppy (if you desire), and your USR modem:

    I assume you meant something like this
    http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=04&kc=6W300&l=en&oc=1d47h8bt&s=bsd
    It's $649 with a $149 rebate. It would want ram, video, sound, modem
    too.
    It seems though the poweredge is more expandable?

    Jim

    jim_tehma (e-mail isn't checked), Mar 24, 2005
  7. jim_tehma (e-mail isn't checked), Mar 24, 2005
  8. Was there any sound or you have to install a soundcard?
    How about the video?

    Thanks, Jim

    jim_tehma (e-mail isn't checked), Mar 24, 2005
  9. jim_tehma (e-mail isn't checked)

    S.Lewis Guest

    Jim,

    Sounds like you've got a plan for the 400SC. Go for it. I'd verify whether
    it needs a PCIe or AGP card before buying.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Mar 24, 2005
  10. jim_tehma (e-mail isn't checked)

    User N Guest

    There is PCI. As for PCIe, note that the slots are x8 and x1. Some
    people have reported that the SC420's x8 slot utilizes a connector
    that can accept a x16 card IF a keying block is cut out of the
    connector or a notch is cut into the x16 card edge.

    User N, Mar 24, 2005
  11. Yep, me. At work, we have several Poweredges, almost all run Debian
    Linux without problems (although it's not supported by Dell), among
    these are old 6450 as well as brand new 750 and 1850.

    Olaf

    Olaf Zaplinski, Mar 24, 2005
  12. I assume Dell does this to discourage video card installation?

    Thanks, Jim

    jim_tehma (e-mail isn't checked), Mar 26, 2005
  13. Found a helpful FAQ: http://aaltonen.us/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2058

    Q: What expansion slots does the SC420 have?
    A: Three PCI, one PCIe x1, and one PCIe x8. Note: The PCI slots do not
    support 3.3-V expansion cards. Only 5-V PCI expansion cards are
    supported.

    Q: Does the SC420 have an AGP slot?
    A: No.

    Q: Does the SC420 come with onboard sound, like the 400SC did?
    A: Sorry. No. You will have to install a sound card.

    Jim

    jim_tehma (e-mail isn't checked), Mar 26, 2005