Is this PC config. OK for dictation software? (Dragon Dictate)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dan, May 16, 2005.

  1. Dan

    Dan Guest

    Hi All,
    I'm looking for info on the best configuration (within my $1400
    budget) for using Dragon Dictate full time. I would like to use
    DragonDictate to navigate through Windows and control Windows
    applications as much possible. I'm currently using a Dimension 4100
    with a 1 GHz Pentium III and 392 MB of RAM. I'm able to use
    DragonDictate to control this system but it can be very slow. I'm
    wondering if the below-mentioned system configuration is enough or too
    much for using DragonDictate full time? Also, I plan on using this
    system for surfing the Internet, some video capture (VHS to DVD) and
    manipulating the captured video using Pinnacle Studio 9.

    I'd usually have 2 or 3 IE windows up, MS Outlook, Dragon Dictate,
    Norton AV & firewall, a pop-up blocker and Windates
    running concurretly. Does the below sys. seem fast enough?

    Dell 8400 w/3.60 cpu, 1GB 533mhz RAM, 80 GB Hard drive, WinXP Home,
    ATI Radeon X300 SE (128mb), SB Live 24 bit soundcard.

    Is the 660 processor worth the extra $240 over the 650 processor?

    Thanks!

    Dan

    Remove NOSPAM from address when replying

    Dan, May 16, 2005

  2. Dan

    John Doe Guest

    Your $1400 budget should be more than enough. Spend the access on
    the monitor.
    You can buy NaturallySpeaking 8 on eBay for cheap. If you can
    afford NaturallySpeaking 8 Professional, you can have
    voice-controlled macroing too. Speech recognition and voice
    initiated macroing promises to be the ultimate current technology
    for operating a personal computer.
    I just bought an ASUS 1608P DVD writer.
    Windows XP handles multiple programs much better than Windows 9x.
    And you can configure Windows XP to look exactly like Windows 9x.
    An 80 GB hard drive is hardly state of the art. The price/value
    point is about 120 GB.

    Any CPU over 2 GHz is fine. Anything over about 768 MB of RAM is
    fine.

    I am a regular of late in (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt) where
    you can get some good advice about building a PC or about
    specifications for a fast PC. You can also ask in one of the
    (rec.video.desktop) groups. They can tell you what hardware you
    need for Pinnacle Studio. Any current system which will do desktop
    video will do speech-recognition just fine, except maybe for the
    sound input. Make sure you can record very good-quality voice
    through a microphone first, that is what matters.

    I am using Dragon NaturallySpeaking 8 smoothly on this system.

    .... AMD Athlon XP 2 GHz CPU (doing just fine)

    .... 1 GB of RAM (should to be more than enough, but check with the
    folks in the video group)

    .... built-in to the mainboard audio, built-in video is known to be
    problematic, but my built-in (hardware, not emulation) audio is
    doing great for speech-recognition

    .... Labtec Axis-311 microphone headset (cheap and works great)

    Again, you need to run a simple test, check for audio input
    recording before you go spending extra money on microphones or
    soundcards. That test is critical.

    If your current setup isn't satisfactory, like any intelligent
    buyer, look for a microphone or soundcard that you can compare
    prices and find reviews on trusted web sites.

    If you would like some one-on-one help, feel free to add me to MSN
    messenger (instant messaging). My contact information is
    lshaping...hotmail. Maybe we could go look at the web site where
    you intend to buy a computer.

    Good luck.

    John Doe, May 16, 2005

  3. John Doe wrote:

    "MUCH"

    CAVEAT LECTOR applies.
    He does not ( dares not ???? ) reveal his ID.

    Richard Owlett, May 16, 2005
  4. Dan

    John Doe Guest

    Assuming that code is supposed to mean "I snipped what he wrote
    which was much"

    Yeah, it's easy to write a lot using speech recognition. Fun fun
    fun
    That's because I'm not selling anything. I have noticed that
    Usenet spammers who would defend their spamming on Usenet brag
    about using their real (or semi real) identities.

    I know hardware and Windows backwards and forwards. I am a regular
    in (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt).

    And where is your advice?

    Troll.

    John Doe, May 16, 2005
  5. Ignore any comments from someone with obviously bogus ID.

    NOTE BENE: my email/reply address is legit ( if heavily filtered )
    John Doe <> does not even purport to be valid.

    You pays your money, you take your choice. snicker snicker

    Richard Owlett, May 16, 2005
  6. Dan

    John Doe Guest

    Daddy wanna-be?