    to log into it to do the apple extreme admin stuff that is required.

    Does this sound reasonable? I have 14 days to return the Airport
    Extreme, so I need to come up wth a reasonable resolution.

    stebak, Jun 9, 2007

  2. stebak

    Jon Guest

    No, because that CD is specifically for his hardware. You need a retail
    10.4 package. Buy a family pack for up to five legal licences while
    you're at it - it's not much more expensive.
    No. THe only option I can see is for you to use your son's 10.4 machine
    (presumaly updated to one of the latest versions, e.g., 10.4.9). The
    Airport Etreme tech.spec page at
    Use your son's machine or buy a Retail Tiger pack.

    Jon, Jun 9, 2007

  3. stebak

    stebak Guest

    So what, are you the apple salesman?

    I've spent $180 on an airport extreme, I have one legit copy of tiger
    (10.4) and your suggestion is to buy a family pack for $200 more? I
    have to wonder if there is a reasonable alternative that doesn't cost
    so much.

    stebak, Jun 9, 2007
  4. That legit copy of Tiger is licensed and designed for the model of
    machine it shipped with. It is not compatible with any earlier models,
    and may not be compatible with any later models. And even if it were,
    it is not licensed for those machines.

    Your options are to buy a copy of Tiger for each machine, at a cost of
    $129 each or to buy a family pack at a cost of $199 for up to five
    computers. That reduces the per computer cost to $50 each for the four
    computers you have.

    Anything else is in violation of the software license, and is software
    piracy.

    And that's the bottom line.

    Michelle Steiner, Jun 9, 2007
  5. Just sort-of thinking:
    Wouldn't it have been much cheaper overall to buy a Belkin or LinkSys or
    USR wireless router and do either of the following:

    1) buy the cheapest desktop available and make it into a pseudo-server
    that all the backups go to
    2) select one of your existing machines to host the backup hard drive.
    Set that machine to "wake for administrator ethernet access," thus
    allowing other machines to send the "wake on LAN" magic packet, so
    everyone can back up without physical access to the host machine.

    Carl Witthoft, Jun 9, 2007
  6. stebak

    Király Guest

    Designed, yes. Licenced, no. It is only licenced to be run "on one
    Apple-labeled computer at a time." As long as it is not installed on more
    than one Mac at the same time, it is within the terms of the licence to
    install it on any Apple computer.
    That is very likely true.
    That is not true. The licence simply says "Apple-labeled computer". The
    software licence for OS X does not tie it down to any particular Mac.
    Furthermore, the licence specifically states that the software and
    licence *may* be legally transferred to a different Mac. I have, quite
    legally, used 10.3 eMac discs to successfully install 10.3 on an iMac DV.
    This is all within the terms of the licence.

    This doesn't help the OP any, though. He will indeed need to buy a new
    copy of OS X to legally run it on the machine now running Tiger. Or he
    could buy a copy of Leopard when it comes out, install it on the Mac
    currently running 10.4, and then transfer his 10.4 installation to the
    Mac currently running 10.3. That also is within the terms of the
    licence. Will it work? Maybe, but probably not. He'll have to try it
    out and see.

    Király, Jun 9, 2007
  7. stebak

    Király Guest

    Well, yeah. The hardware you bought apparently requires Tiger. If you
    don't have Tiger on the machine you want to use with the hardware, well
    you're going to have to buy it. Whether or not you have Tiger installed
    on some other family member's machine is not at all relevant.

    BTW, there's no need to buy the family pack if there's just one machine to
    upgrade. The single-licence Tiger will be just fine and you should be
    able to find it on eBay for $100 or less.

    Király, Jun 9, 2007
  8. stebak

    stebak Guest

    Frankly, that is more what I'm thinking; I can reactivate my linux
    box without much hastle.

    The surprising thing is that no one else appears to be combining the
    the print server, file server function.

    But also, the airport technology is exceptional - and it all
    integrates so well. I just feel it a bit over the top that they use
    the upgraded airport as a device to leverage sales of the OS.

    I know I can buy lots more operating system upgrades, but how long til
    the new one comes out and it needs to be upgraded again? I will look
    on ebay as recommended above.

    stebak, Jun 9, 2007
  9. Designed, yes. Licenced, no. It is only licenced to be run "on one
    Apple-labeled computer at a time." As long as it is not installed on
    more than one Mac at the same time, it is within the terms of the
    licence to install it on any Apple computer.[/QUOTE]

    That is true of retail copies, but is it also true of the OS that ships
    in the same box as the computer?

    Michelle Steiner, Jun 9, 2007
  10. stebak

    Király Guest

    s82> <>

    Yup. I have compared the printed licences for both the retail version of
    10.4, and the version that shipped with an eMac, and I don't see any
    difference.

    Király, Jun 9, 2007
  11. Yup. I have compared the printed licences for both the retail
    version of 10.4, and the version that shipped with an eMac, and I
    don't see any difference.[/QUOTE]

    OK. But is an irrelevant point regarding the OP because he wants to
    have it installed on four computers at the same time--and that's a
    violation of the software license.

    Michelle Steiner, Jun 10, 2007
  12. stebak

    Király Guest

    Yes, definitely.

    I was just wanting to clear up the misconception that Apple system
    software that ships with a Mac is only licenced for that specific model.
    I've seen that parroted often in this newsgroup, by many different
    posters, and it simply isn't true.

    Király, Jun 10, 2007
  13. stebak

    Jon Guest

    You are being more than a little paranoid here. Face the facts: New
    hardware requires new software to run it, and new software, often as
    not, requires the latest OS. They're not "leveraging", they need and are
    using functions in Tiger for the admin software for the Extreme box.
    Tiger had been in the market for over a year when the new Extreme came
    out, AFAIR, so it's not exactly unreasonable.

    Jon, Jun 10, 2007