IS7 and Nvidia Driver problem

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Kbird, Nov 13, 2003.

  1. Kbird

    Kbird Guest

    hi guys , just looking for some advice , last weekend i built a new system
    around a Abit IS7 ( not an -E or -G just plain IS7) and Abit 4200Ti 4X from
    my old system.I usually dual boot Win98SE and XP Pro and so far have
    installed everything( all drivers , done windows update etc.) under 98 but
    every time i try to install the nvidia drivers the system locks up at the
    reboot with a windows protection error ,so into safe mode, remove drivers
    and then it boots fine again into windows.So far i have tried 30.82
    ,40.72,41.09,45.23 drivers with the same result on them all. i have
    installed all the drivers off the cd and updated the intel chipset drivers
    to the latest on intel's site (5.0.2.3 ?) which hasnt helped .there are no
    other PCI cards in the comp. as of yet .Onboard sound is enabled ( does the
    sound suck or it just me?).So any thoughts /ideas would be appreciated
    ,maybe i need to return the board ? i'm thinking its a memory or I/O address
    conflict which i'm not sure how to remedy,
    maybe this 4200ti isnt compatible with this AGP slot?

    Abit IS7 bios 16
    Intel 2.6C @ 2.6 default volts etc
    1g DDR400 mem at default timings/volts
    Abit 4200Ti 4x not OC'd.

    Kbird, Nov 13, 2003

  2. Kbird

    TomG Guest

    sounds like a classic irq conflict to me. try disabling all onboard devices
    that are not in use including sound. com ports, etc to free up everything
    and see if you can get a driver to install.

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 118,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Nov 13, 2003

  3. Kbird

    Kbird Guest

    Update:

    Tom thanks for the advice ,that was my thinking too ,so i spent a couple of
    hours playing around with different drivers and disabling everything one by
    one ,that i could on the motherboard with the result that if i disable the
    option in the bios to give USB an IRQ i can get Nvidia reference driver
    52.16 to install ,( usb1 seems tied to the AGP slot, i couldnt assign
    another
    IRQ to it ) but only this driver , it still wont let me install any lower
    driver set like 41.09 or 45.23 or 45.32 etc (and 52.16 has probs with Fsaa
    modes etc) so i'm stumped pretty sure it is the IRQ conflict thing though
    since it locks and reboots during the win98 driver load part of startup
    anymore thoughts or should i maybe return this board ? for the same one ? or
    maybe an ic7 ? does anyone know if the Abit Ti4200 is a true 1.5 volt part
    or have it running on this board ?

    thanks again

    Kbird, Nov 17, 2003
  4. Kbird

    TomG Guest

    have you ever tried any of the various Detonator Destroyer driver remover
    utilities to make sure that you have all remnants of the newer drivers
    removed?

    TomG, Nov 17, 2003
  5. Kbird

    Kbird Guest

    Yes , i 've been using Driver Cleaner 2 since this started ,but note that
    this is on a new motherboard,with brand new HD , new memory (1g 400DDR) and
    no other PCI cards installed as yet , and a clean ,new install of the OS
    (Win98SE havent tried 2K or XP yet,didnt want to invest the time if i return
    the board.) i'm guessing the ACPI bios just cant seem to allocate enough
    resouces , worse comes to worse i might try removing the acpi bios from
    windows and replace with the standard M$ driver , any chance this particular
    board is screwed up you think?

    thanks for the ideas ,though i'm surprised i'm the only one with this
    problem .

    remove the 2 to email me direct

    Kbird, Nov 17, 2003
  6. Kbird

    TomG Guest

    well, I run both an IC7-G and an IS7-G and I have an FX5900 Ultra in the IC7
    and a Ti4600 in the IS7 and am running 52.16 on both without issue. I never
    even had to disable onboard features on the IS7 to get things going... so I
    guess I would not anticipate a problem of the nature you are having.

    TomG, Nov 17, 2003
  7. Kbird

    Kbird Guest

    Hi tom thanks for looking at my thread ( and other help over the last few
    years) ,
    I stripped out one of my SA6R's on the weekend and had all the cards sitting
    on the desk but didnt think until last night to try a different Nvidia G.
    card ( since i've never had probs before with nvidia drivers.) but i threw
    in an Abit GF3Ti200 ( was Abit Ti4200) and away it went no problem at all
    and i was able to load any driver i wanted and use FSAA modes in a couple of
    games ( testing short time only) .both the IS7 and the Ti4200 have the
    latest bios's i can find so i'm not sure what to try next ,as i would like
    the 4200 to work obviously , guess i'll have to try Abit TS.
    and see if they actually reply to an issue like this ( no responses at all
    on the Abit Web Forums to my problem.)
    if you have any other ideas i'd appreciate hearing them , thanks Mick.

    Kbird, Nov 19, 2003
  8. Kbird

    TomG Guest

    nothing more I can figure... sorry.