    Good deal this week for kingston value ram, two 256mb 3200.

    Is it worth the upgrade, will I actually notice the difference?

    Thanks for any info.

    bob, Jan 28, 2004

  2. bob

    TomG Guest

    with XP, I saw a significant difference with 1 gig installed versus 512 but
    I did it with two 512 mb sticks. the system almost never accesses the swap
    file, if at all...

    the 865 and 875 chipsets have been known to change their stability and/or
    overclocking ability with all four ram slots full. usually, the system
    latency goes up a bit and it is possible that the ram bandwidth might not be
    able to get quite as high or that stability could be negatively impacted.

    usually, if that is the case, you can relax the ram timings a touch and get
    back to stable but if you loose any bandwidth in the process, you won't
    likely be able to gain that back.

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 120,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Jan 28, 2004

  3. bob

    bob Guest

    If I keep it at 512 for now (2x256) will I see or feel much
    improvement replacing the 2100 with 3200?

    bob, Jan 28, 2004
  4. bob

    - HAL9000 Guest

    Isn't kingston value ram 3200 rated as Cas Latency, or CL, 3? PC3200
    CL3 memory is almost the exact same speed as PC2700 CL2.5. If newegg
    pricing (or other) is anything like it used to be, they should be
    almost identically priced. This is for good reason - they are the
    same speed.

    If the above is the situation, then you are really comparing PC2100
    memory with PC2700 memory. 2700/2100 = 1.28. Therefore the memory
    interface speed will be 28% better. Note that no application does
    only this (memory reads and writes) - so the improvement will be
    application dependent. One application where you would note an
    improvement would be winrar encoding/decoding. All the office
    applications aren't memory intensive so no significant improvement
    there.

    Forrest

    Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    http://home.comcast.net/~hal-9000/

    - HAL9000, Jan 28, 2004
  5. bob

    TomG Guest

    now, that gets into a more difficult area... the faster memory would be a
    good thing if you were trying to overclock and your memory, even at a 5:4
    ratio, for example, was what was limiting the ability to get the system to
    clock higher.

    or, if the existing ram were only able to clock at the current rate with the
    ram timings really relaxed which would help to negate bandwidth. if you are
    not trying to overclock and/or if your current ram is able to run with tight
    or reasonably tight memory timings, then you would not benefit in a very
    visible way with the faster ram.

    on the other hand, if you are overclocking and think the current ram is the
    limiting factor (quite possible) then the faster ram could help but I would
    go with even faster ram than that which you are considering if this were the
    case...

    TomG, Jan 28, 2004
  6. bob

    TomG Guest

    good info... nice response.

    TomG, Jan 28, 2004
  7. bob

    Albert Guest

    Did you ever get an answer to this to your understanding? Are you a
    wild-eyed overclocker or are you simply inquiring as to the
    performance improvement you can expect at stock speeds if you change
    from pc2100 to pc3200 in this board?

    Generally...
    PC2100 = Speed: DDR266 Bandwidth: 2.1GB/s
    PC3200 = Speed: DDR400 Bandwidth: 3.2GB/s

    Looks like a 50% improvement for memory intensive operations such as
    require read/writes to the memory only. What are you using it for? DVD
    ripping & encoding? PAR2 recovery? Graphics rendering? Gaming? Your
    mileage may vary and other factors come into play. Some areas will be
    faster definitely. You have a nice responsive machine and may notice
    nothing in everyday use. Perhaps my offering helps less than what
    others have posted. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

    Have a great day,
    Albert

    Albert, Jan 28, 2004
  8. bob

    TomG Guest

    good info but like another poster pointed out, remember that Cas Latency
    comes into play... what you stated is true as long as you are comparing like
    latency modules.

    TomG, Jan 28, 2004
  9. bob

    - HAL9000 Guest

    Thanks Tom. But as we all know around here... you're da man!

    Gosh, seems like a lot of memory related questions/problems recently.

    - HAL9000, Jan 28, 2004
  10. bob

    TomG Guest

    agreed on the number of ram related queries and issues. the IC7/IS7 series
    boards are getting a larger install base and some of what we see may be as a
    result of the increased number of boards out there... thanks for the
    kudos...

    TomG, Jan 29, 2004
  11. bob

    bob Guest

    Thanks everyone it is all good info, it seems each response has
    something to consider.

    2700 has a lower cas than the 3200
    3200 provides a larger bandwith to the CPU than 2700

    bob, Jan 30, 2004