IS7-E: Can't Load Intel Chipset Software Utility

Discussion in 'Abit' started by none given, Feb 27, 2004.

  1. none given

    none given Guest

    Always freezes at 90% installation;
    Tried it several times, always a clean install; always with no sound
    enabled;
    Tried it with no LAN enabled; same thing;
    Tried the CD version of the utility; tried it with the latest download from
    Intel;
    memtest reports no errors;

    Could this be a bad board or are there other suggestions to try?

    System is:

    Antec Sonata case
    IS7-E Motherboard
    P4 3.0 GHz 800FSB
    1 GB (2x512) Kingston Hyperx Dual Channel Kit (PC3200)
    WD 120 GB hard drive on SATA (master on IDE channel 3)
    AOpen DVD drive (master on IDE channel 1)
    Plextor DVD burner (master on IDE channel 2)
    ATI Radeon 9700Pro

    Thanks.
    Signed,

    unhappy

    none given, Feb 27, 2004

  2. none given

    TomG Guest

    is the CPU clocked at default for that CPU? have you done anything with the
    voltage for the DDR like raising it to 2.7 or so? is the ram set to By SPD
    in the Advanced Chipset section? if so, you might want to set it to manual
    and then slow the timings a bit from what you see them set to or even way
    slow just to eliminate ram problems from the picture...

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 120,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Feb 27, 2004

  3. none given

    none given Guest

    All default settings for CPU and voltages;
    DRAM timing by SPD;
    BIOS reports: 2.5-8-3-3

    Alan

    none given, Feb 27, 2004
  4. none given

    TomG Guest

    what about DDR voltage? did you try raising that? thing is, there are
    quite a few of us out here that have loaded the chipset drivers successfully
    so I can say there are no issues in that arena. do you have any USB or
    other devices installed? PCI cards added in?

    TomG, Feb 27, 2004
  5. none given

    none given Guest

    Tried RAM at Manual, 3-7-3-3
    Same result;
    I have an RMA from the vendor; that's the next step;
    Have it replaced.

    Alan

    none given, Feb 27, 2004
  6. none given

    none given Guest

    I haven't tried adjusting any voltages; usually the default settings are the
    best for initial installation.

    No USB devices or PCI cards whatsoever; as clean an install as possible.

    I know it's a rare problem; I could find only one other similar instance on
    the various hardware boards but no solution was given. Intel support had no
    suggestions.

    Like I said in the other post, perhaps it's defective and I should try
    another.

    Alan

    none given, Feb 27, 2004
  7. none given

    TomG Guest

    you would normally be correct about default voltages except in the case of
    the 875 or 865 chipsets. any small amount of research on either of these
    two chipsets will easily show you that you need to consider raising the DDR
    voltage right out of the box, whether you are intending to overclock or run
    at stock clocking. give it a look then give it a try.

    TomG, Feb 28, 2004
  8. none given

    TomG Guest

    without even giving a try on increasing the DDR voltage?

    TomG, Feb 28, 2004
  9. none given

    none given Guest

    I suppose I should have but I've already dismantled the box so that I may
    return the MB.

    If the replacement behaves the same, then I'll do as you suggest.

    Alan

    none given, Feb 28, 2004
  10. none given

    Ed Forsythe Guest

    Good luck Alan - Please keep us posted -

    Ed Forsythe, Feb 29, 2004
  11. none given

    none given Guest

    Will do.