    Anybody encounter this?

    It will work if only ONE drive controller has a h/drive connected. Anybody
    encounter this??

    RKelly, Mar 8, 2005

  2. RKelly

    TomG Guest

    I use Ghost 7 on my IC7-G with a raid on the Intel ICH5R SATA controller, a
    drive on the SI SATA, and two SCSI drive on an Adaptec 29160 PCI card.
    however, when I tried to use the next version of Ghost that came with NSW
    2K5 on this same system, it locks up. Ghost from 2K5 works fine on other
    systems I have.

    what this tells me is that Ghost can have interactions with various
    installed software and/or drivers on the system that cause it to not be
    stable. I have not been able to identify what conflicts may exist...

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 130,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Mar 8, 2005

  3. RKelly

    RKelly Guest

    Well, Symantec acknowledges an incompatibility with Intel 865 chipsets but
    say upgrades from Norton ghost 7 to 7.5, and 9 take care of this issue.

    Here's their link:
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...003 for Windows 2000/NT/Me/98/XP&csm=no&tpre=

    On my IS7-E as long as I have either the SATA or the IDE chain, NOT both,
    connected to a hard drive ghost works fine.

    Have you tried that?

    what ver of ghost you running with NSW 2K5? Nine?

    RKelly, Mar 9, 2005
  4. RKelly

    TomG Guest

    well, I didn't upgrade to nine on my 875 based IC7-G because it was giving
    me trouble. Seeing your link sort of explains that. I am running ghost 7
    without issue. the only thing I have on my IDE channels is a DVD-ROM drive
    and a DVD burner. did you try the switches they suggested and have any
    luck?

    TomG, Mar 9, 2005
  5. RKelly

    frodo Guest

    butting in... ;-)

    I have a IS7 w/ a RAID 0 setup on the SATA ICH5R; boots into XP off
    the RAID 0. IDE's have my zip and optical drive, no HD's.

    Is there an easy way to use ghost to backup the partitions on the RAID?
    [Other than making a 2nd XP installation w/ just ghost on it, and booting
    into it solely to make images and do restores. fine for simple "go back"
    purposes, but useless in the event of a complete raid loss.]

    My primary concern would be rebuilding the system in the event that the
    RAID was completely lost. How do I boot ghost and have it restore the
    raid from, say, a series of CDs? My understanding is that it can't really
    be done.

    I have NSW 2003 Pro, w/ Ghost 7

    I _THINK_ TrueImage can do this nowadays, has anybody tried it?

    W/ RAID 0 becomming more common it seems to me someone should have come up
    w/ a way to do an easy image-save-and-restore from a set of bootable CDs.

    Any links to methods greatly appreciated.

    TIA!

    frodo, Mar 10, 2005
  6. RKelly

    TomG Guest

    I use ghost every week to do a backup of selected partitions on my raid 0
    array. I boot to the raid which, of course, means that the XP partition is
    on the raid and I have no problems making backup images of the OS partition
    and others, both on and off the raid 0 array. did I understand your
    question correctly?

    TomG, Mar 11, 2005
  7. RKelly

    frodo Guest

    So, if the raid totally dies, how would you do the restore?

    Or, if you wanted to restore the boot partition's image, how would you do
    that?

    [I'll guess at the answer: boot from the ghost CD. But it doesn't have
    the raid drivers. How can it restore to that raid drive? Catch-22 (or
    I'm missing something - no don't answer that!!!).]

    TIA

    frodo, Mar 12, 2005
  8. RKelly

    TomG Guest

    the ghost boot cd prompts you for drivers by hitting F6 just like installing
    the OS!

    TomG, Mar 12, 2005
  9. RKelly

    frodo Guest

    ahh, there WAS something I wasn't getting! I will investigate further,
    thank you very much!

    frodo, Mar 14, 2005
  10. RKelly

    TomG Guest